• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Isolated building

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I drive past this every day on the way to and from work (50+ mile drive, each way!) It's in the middle of Norfolk, near Fincham.

There's flat fields everywhere, boring and featureless scenery, so this really catches the eye. The dramatic sky adds to the composition.

It's a good distance from any roads so I parked up in a lay-by and trekked the few hundred metres with my 10D, tripod, 17-35mm Sigma wide angle, ND grad and polarizer filters packed into my Lowepro rucksack.

I've discovered a real passion for landscape photography recently. The similarity between it and aquascaping is interesting.

1/30 sec, f/16, ISO 100, 17mm.

f_housecropm_de25a10.jpg

aaronnorth said:
Brilliant, whats HDR?
High Dynamic Range - Basically you take the same photo at several exposures and use the bits from each to create a final shot.

Edit - in fact the last I heard Sony were creating a camera which did it automatically, they'd taken a CCD and instead of giving you all the Mpixels they'd quartered it so that you could take several exposures of the same shot at the same time (useful for when it's a moving subject). Basically if you imagine a square of 4 pixels, each one would have a different exposure time and this set of four would be repeated across the CCD... clever stuff, don't know if they've made it commercial yet though.

You just know I`m gonna love that sky, George. Now give us the pic in B+W!

Dave.

George Farmer said:
trekked the few hundred metres with my 10D, tripod, 17-35mm Sigma wide angle, ND grad and polarizer filters packed into my Lowepro rucksack
all the gear and no...... lol

Great shot mate, i bet you've been thinking for weeks "i'll get out one of these days and shoot that"? what are you have to look forward to now on those painful journeys to work?

Dan Crawford said:
George Farmer said:
trekked the few hundred metres with my 10D, tripod, 17-35mm Sigma wide angle, ND grad and polarizer filters packed into my Lowepro rucksack
all the gear and no...... lol

Great shot mate, i bet you've been thinking for weeks "i'll get out one of these days and shoot that"? what are you have to look forward to now on those painful journeys to work?
lol. All the kit, s***.

That's exactly it mate. I'm chuffed I picked a good day to do it today with the skies like they were. The shot would be really boring otherwise.

This is another shot I took, about 1/4 mile away in the next field. The sky is already clearing.

It's more an experimental photo, an attempt to capture a sense of movement with the wind blowing the corn. Note the blur, caused by 1/8 sec. shutter speed.

1/8 sec, f/22, ISO 100, 21mm

f_cornfieldinm_c791ad6.jpg

yes, good george. i just get the urge to adjust exposure slightly, but all in all great shot and composition. aquascaping and photograophy go hand in hand imo. just look at amano.

saintly said:
yes, good george. i just get the urge to adjust exposure slightly, but all in all great shot and composition. aquascaping and photograophy go hand in hand imo. just look at amano.

Ah, you think they're underexposed? It's a fair point and I appreciate any critiques, especially from those more experienced than myself. I've had my 10D, my first DSLR, less than 12 months.

not so much ender exposed just needs a little curves in photoshop. sorry i took the liberty...

i cropped it too, bottom right hand corner.

[
f_cornfieldinm_c791ad6.jpg
][/img]

you'll love curves. imo, the single most effective tool there is. if you get the markIII YOU WILL be blown away. i know what it was like coming from a 10d to a 5d.

George Farmer said:
Oh wow! You the man.

I don't have curves with Elements 2.0. I'm getting a high-spec iMac with CS3 in November though.

GIMP...

Back