• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Issues with growing wallichii

NightLite

Hi all,
Been following threads in this forum Love the advice.

Please help, I've trouble growing wallichii and downois
I've posted some pictures and you can see the problem of stunted growth with wallichii or no growth with downoi's.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG20211003054845.jpg
    IMG20211003054845.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 730
  • IMG-20210930-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20210930-WA0016.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
This is my full tank shot, my other plants seem to be doing fine, so I'm puzzled with the Wallachi and downoi.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210909_045952.jpg
    IMG_20210909_045952.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 237
Haven’t kept either plants so this is just me thinking out loud.
Ive heard the helferi likes harder water with some kh, because you have synoganthus growing well. perhaps too Low a kh?

For the rotala wallichi. Are you doing EI dosing? The reason I ask is because I see some stunting issues with ammania gracilis. Ammania like lean water column and rich substrate from my experience otherwhise they will just stunt and curl up. Ammania species and difficult variety of rotala have similar care requirements.

Either way I think it is best to leave it be, some plants will not be happy in your tank no matter what, it is best not to change everything just for one plant and have the others suffer. Great looking tank by the way! Cheers,@NightLite

Your Wallichiis have a very nice colour already. the excessively pink photos on internet are due to lighting colour.

From reddit:

if they don't grow tall in your tank, maybe you can just use them as a midground plant instead of background.
one simple experiment you can do is to replant some of the stunted stems in a different part of your tank.

Some grow tall, some don't, and some, the tips seems to be growing smaller and smaller, like there is a phosphate deficiency.
Another picture of my wallichii issue. I've killed many stems. Then they grow ugly.
Yes, my KH is almost zero.

I run pressurized co2
N: I don't dose, but with fish I have plenty
P: 5ppm per week
K: 45ppm per week
Calcium : 10ppm perweek
Mg: 5ppm per week
Micros : I run a bit lean, whatever brand micros I use, I dose half the recommended per week.
Also I use black coarse sand, don't use branded substrate.

Attachments

• IMG-20210720-WA0024.jpeg
    IMG-20210720-WA0024.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 252
Stunted growth normally equals poor Co2 distribution in that area of the aquarium!
hoggie
I have suspected that so I planted in 3 different areas of the tank at the same time, and also directly in front where I am sure it will get the full brunt of the co2. I run inline intense diffuser.

I still got the same stunting in all the 3 different places. Same goes for my downoi.

I even tried, putting some ada substrate in a glass hanging bowl in the tank where it will get co2 for sure

Tearing my hair out trying to solve this puzzle

Also, our Member Konrad reported stunted growth of Rotala Rotundifolia when dosing Potassium!

Hi Nightlife
I would add normal Micro!
hoggie
When I dose micros at the full dosage as recommended. I tend to get severe twisting of leaves, crumpled leaves, massive algae. Usually becomes a disaster. Almost all the plants would show some kind of abnormalities.
When I was running a leaner dose of phosphate, say 1ppm per week, it was worse, every stem of wallachi would turn dark and tips just gets smaller and smaller
Then I increased to 5ppm per week, slowly. It got better, but some stems are so so ok, some still a disaster with small tips or stunted. Even with 5ppm weekly, it has never been growing well.

Hi all, just an update... have stopped K dosing and on full micros... for about 2 weeks now... and i get lots and lots of old leaves dropping off my repens and lobelia.
the wallichi seems to be a hit or miss... some grow ok.. some still stunted... same as before the full micros and stopped K.... the downoi melted to nothingness..
oh well...

rather than start a new thread, I'm hoping I can use this thread to ask a Wallichii question - what are the factors that cause Wallichii to turn pink?

I seem to be able to grow Wallichii ok in my tank - for example, no problem getting healthy green sideshoots from cut-off stems. But unsure how to get them pink.

I noticed you dont dose Nitrate....you really should its one of the Main Macros!
Add some root tablets/balls.
I don't dose nitrates as I have lots of fishes... and I get nitrates from the food and poo, whenever i test no3 i get about 20-40ppm
also i do use root tabs

Back