• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

It’s a weed

I don’t know what this stuff is, I bought it at Pets at Home, but it’s taken over the tank. I keep having to trim it. And I only put a shot of Tropica in every month or so! It’s the 60L on the left.

Attachments

• B000E192-4504-4E2B-8D10-28C4C321CBE8.jpeg
    B000E192-4504-4E2B-8D10-28C4C321CBE8.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 701
Great example of classy looking crymbosa. Usually it looks large and out of place!

Hi all,
and will readily form new plants from a single leaf
My guess would be that your plant is something else.

Hygrophila spp. are incredibly easy as stem cuttings, but I don't think they can regenerate from a leaf without an axillary bud? Some-one else (@Mick.Dk or @Siege) may be able to supply a definitive answer.

cheers Darrel

I have this plant as well, and can confirm loose leaves growing into new plants at random locations in my tank (between java ferns, between mosses, between crypts), so it can regrow from a single leaf. But I got it by mistake (wrong plant was send) and I dont know which species it is either. I've always assumed hygrophila corymbosa.

Hi all,
I have this plant as well, and can confirm loose leaves growing into new plants at random locations in my tank (between java ferns, between mosses, between crypts), so it can regrow from a single leaf.
That sounds fairly definitive, I had no idea you could grow it from leaf cuttings.

I've had it in the tanks for a long time, but I've never tried to propagate it, it has always kept itself going without any intervention. All I do is occasionally remove a big wodge of it.

It has <"grown out"> of the tanks <"and flowered"> in the past.

cheers Darrel

Since bought at Pets at Home, it is defenitely Hyg. '53B'. Looking at plant also say Hyg. '53B'.
It is not that unusual for this Hygrophila to produce new plants from leaves de-attached from the stem. Hygrophila polysperma very often does this too.

Both tanks have a single tall piece of bog wood in them. The plants in the 60L tank have just gone a bit mad though and grown very tall. The smaller 37L tank just has lots of moss growing on the wood, it’s now coming out of the top of the tank. I’ll take another picture later.

You're using a Söchting Mini Oxydator, I wonder if that is improving the tanks growth too?

You're using a Söchting Mini Oxydator, I wonder if that is improving the tanks growth too?

That’s just for the shrimp/fish and only in one of the tanks. Maybe it makes a difference, I don’t know.
Couple of pictures of the 37L with the moss growing out of the top. The tank needs a good trim soon.

Attachments

• E47164B3-A540-497A-A2FA-F98831AC8A57.jpeg
    E47164B3-A540-497A-A2FA-F98831AC8A57.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 422
  • CDF64742-112E-4206-9C5D-580F945D98EA.jpeg
    CDF64742-112E-4206-9C5D-580F945D98EA.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 350
Amazing plant, Hygrophila corymbosa.. Truly amphibious and can grow amazingly well planted in well drained soil, partially submerged and fully submerged. Snails seem to love punching holes in the leaves though.

I just find the growth in both tanks amazing considering I only have a sand substrate and just put a squirt of liquid ferts in once every few weeks.
The shrimps also do a great job of helping to keep the tanks clean.

It loves nitrates. If you dose a lot more N, you will see even larger, darker and thicker leaves. Yours might be the "Siamensis" variety with narrower leaves though.

The only thing that kills it is poor lighting or heavy shadowing. In my experience, it even outdoes polysperma in terms of weedy growth. Lovely plant to fill out jungle scapes.

Slightly off topic, but I love the little Greek urn in your tank. I think I want one!
I've had lots of requests to put a Spanish galleon, a treasure chest, a deep sea diver etc etc in my aquarium, which I'm (obviously?) not going to do.
But that classical amphora just ĺooks - right.

Back