• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Itchy arm

gribz

Seedling
Hi,

Odd question this, bear with me! Does anyone else's arm go red and itchy after spending some time dipped in tank water? I'm thinking I may have some sort of alergy to whatever is in the water if no one else get's it..

Odd post I know!

Phil

This came up either here on on APC recently. Basically it sounds like you have an allergic reaction and one thing that can cause it is duckweed. Apparently quite a few people are allergic to it. Make sure you wash your hands and arms thoroughly after every time you put your hands in may help a bit.

If you can't remove or find what's causing your reaction then you may have to start wearing gloves with long arms to prevent your skin touching the water.

The only thing I can think of that might cause it is the type of dechlorinator (or it might just be dechlorinator's themsevles) I use (AmQuel) as apart from that all I use is Flourish..

I've done some searches for shoulder length gloves and best I can find is either latex arm length ones or pond gloves which are PVC and a bit bulky if i'm going to be planting out..

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Phil

I think you may find that's all there is! If you end up with the latex vet gloves (don't think of 'All Creatures Great and Small' while using them :wideyed: ) make sure you get ones that are unpowdered or you will add that to the tank.

Have you just tried making sure you wash any part of your skin that gets in touch with tank water very thoroughly as soon as you finish in the tank? If you used a Hypoallergenic handwash that might help too.

I find my arm is a bit itchy, I don't have duckweed in my tanks, but it's ok-ish after washing my arm off thoroughly with fairy liquid and water.

Being a red-head I have THE most allergic skin. My face is almost the worst though, just having a shower makes my face go redder than a tomato.

if you want some long gloves that can be thrown away, go to a farm shop like Mole Valley or Scats and get the long gloves (up to your shoulders) that are used for calfing. A box of them isn't that spenny and they aren't latex, which I prefer.
That could help

Back