• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I've got massive wood!

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Yesterday I went to a local lake, with Jeremy Gay, to research UK aquatic biotopes for a PFK feature.

I found some nice wood whilst observing the fish and aquatic plant life...

I had a great time! :D

Here's some video footage of a rather over-enthusiastic George Farmer... :oops: :lol:

And here's a series of photos, taken by Jeremy with my compact camera.

Happy days!

The lake
3688168923_58802ec2c9_o.jpg

Before taking the plunge
3688972846_b4222446b2_o.jpg

All ok
3688169121_fa3987a9aa_o.jpg

Swimming
3688972972_618516b48e_o.jpg

I've got wood!
3688973182_bf1ab5c3a8_o.jpg

Look out for a full step-by-step PFK feature on UK biotopes soon...

:lol:

i cant believe you've done it!

I know exactly where that wood is, i've spied it several times and stopped to think how to get it! ....meh :(

look forward to the feature!

Thanks, guys!

We were in fits of laughter afterwards. It's a pity there's no footage of me surfacing after seeing a massive shoal of roach and some big perch. I was even more excited!

Today I'm setting up a biotope aquarium, inspired by what I experienced in there. Meadows of Egeria, hornwort, carpets of Eleocharis, even some Aponogtons with wood like this dotted about. For me, this combination aquascaping and fishkeeping doesn't get much better!

I've dived the second largest reef in the world (Belize) with sharks, rays and breathtaking coral reefs, but there's something even more special about finding this so close to home.

Proper Nature Aquarium - UK Style. :D

chump54 said:
REALLY looking forward to this... looked like fun... working isn't supposed to be fun
Thanks!

It's ok, it wasn't all fun. I got stung by nettles, scratched by thorns, stank of rotten eggs (from the rotting substrate) and will probably develop a horrid disease from swallowing some water! But that's was part of the experience, and therefore part of the fun!

Graeme Edwards said:
Laughing my lil man breasts off :lol:

Respect though G, we should all be doing a bit of native discovery.
The chalk streams in Wiltshire will be a must.

Good work.
He he! Cheers mate

Haha, that's mad! :lol: The things we do for fishkeeping eh... I can't wait for the biotope series, especially this one now. Biotopes are right down my street and this looks so interesting.

You won't. You'll see him on the bank giving his son some 'swimming training'.

His son does his scaping and photography as well you know :)

AC

samc said:
wonder what in my river..........i might go have a look later :D
Go for it! Of course, bear in mind rules and regs, and most importantly your safety.

There's brilliant aquatic wildlife all over the UK, especially at this time of year.

Passionate hobbyists should be getting amongst it! You don't need exotic locations to have a great time. I'm off to Cornwall next week. Rock pools have always fascinated me... ;)

had a look and got rained on :lol: i need to get in there really i did see a nice bit under an overhanging tree where a branch was going down into the water which bits had gathered on and made a little island with stuff growing on it. pretty cool.

ill go down again and get in, try and get some pics too

Your trying native wood so why not try native substrate that you scraped of the lake bed? Might work well...

Josst said:
Your trying native wood so why not try native substrate that you scraped of the lake bed? Might work well...
I agree but the stuff at the bottom is mingin' and silty generally. Personally i wouldn't want that in my tank, doubt it would stay clear and the slightest disturbance and you could be in trouble :(

Josst said:
Well, I would do, but my marriage is more important! The stuff stinks to high heaven!! :lol:

Dan is right too; any minor disturbance would lead to a very cloudy tank for a very long time.

Fantastic video. I don't even know what areas in the UK to even begin thinking about going to. I'm off to north-west wales next thursday to stay with some friends who live on 4 acres of land with a stream/river running the length of their oddly shaped 4 acres. Hope to source some good rocks/wood there as a start :)

Being from Coventry i doubt theres anything in the river behind my house. Maybe the odd Tesco trolley rammed under a tangle of tree roots with someones old carpet perhaps. Theres the odd car tyre here and there too haha.

Wow! You friend's place sounds lovely. Hopefully you'll pick up something nice.

Getting out there, amongst nature to do you own collecting (sensibly, of course) is very rewarding - and easier on the pocket... ;)

My latest tank, a UK planted biotope, has been my favourite aquascape so far, as I got to physically replicate what I saw with realistic materials and livestock. It's inspiring stuff!

Back