• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iwagumi in a big cube?

Dan C

Seedling
Finally got my tank, went for the new Aqua One Aquasys. 60W x 55D x 53H cm 150litres

I want to do an iwagumi layout but all the examples I've seen are in rectangular tanks. Would I just arrange the rocks along the centre line or back third rather than the back so I don't have loads of foreground??

Hi,
I like cubes, but they can be slightly challenging to scape, especially with rock only. What you want to achieve is both height and depth in the scape to balance it. Keep smaller rock towards the front and try to utilise some taller larger rock towards the rear to add height. Sloping your substrate from front to back will help add perspective.
Use the rule of thirds to give a nice balance to focal points and try not to position rocks along an axis line as that will tend to look unnatural.
There are some useful tips in the aquascaping pinned threads:
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/aquascaping-basics-part-one.199/
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/aquascaping-basics-part-two.200/
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/aquascaping-basics-part-three.201/

Good luck scaping, enjoy it, I find it the most enjoyable part.
Cheerio,
Ady.

For most cube scapes an island scape works best and then you're still able to use the rule of 3ds. Since 1/3 of a cube a rather near the centre. :)

This actually is a cube, but then a rather big one... Setup to be viewed 360°
01_front.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks both, I have read about the rule of thirds and a few other bits just can't find many examples of iwagumi in that shape tank unless a nano cube.
I want it to look good from the front and left side primarily so an island would be good because then I would be able to see around the island from the side too. So my gradient would all be in the middle.

It will mainly Monte carlo, I got a pot of Utricularia Graminifolia to try somewhere in there, see if I can keep it alive heard it's difficult. Bit of buce kendang and some phoenix moss

If you can track down Amano’s Nature Aquarium World Book 2, there are several 55cm cube scapes

Though none are Iwagumi - perhaps related to the height, as there are tall grasses or stems
Closest is titled “crimson leaf finery” which has what appears a rounded mountain rising to a peak in the back left corner, “grassland” curves around this across the full front of the tank and extending to right back corner and behind the first rising “hills” - probably 60% of the footprint is grassy plain, and then then hill which looks to be more than half the tank volume as it rise in height

Actual plants are riccia and Barclaya longifolia red
I’ve long admired this scape for those crimson highlights (Amano uses this plant in a few scapes in this book series, but I’ve never seen this plant for sale (though I believe Tropica did grow this at one time) - though I have purchased plants advertised as such :()
Riccia forms the grasslands as well as climbing the mountain terraces

Photos of this tank are more artistic so it’s difficult to discern actual heights

Back