• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iwagumi using UG

ghostsword

I do not remember seeing a iwagumi using UG. 

Is that because it is impossible, or because it would not look natural?

I really like hairgrass, but want to try something different.

If you were to grow UG, what were the tips you could give me?

I got CO2 and light sorted out, but as I live in London the water is hard.

Should I just use RO water? Or won't it matter? 

Thanks.

Oliver knott has a sort of iwagumi here with UG

51278128.60Hem191000.jpg

From what I've read and seen from the people who've grown out (or not including me!) it doesn't like fertilised substrate so you're better off trying just sand. Not sure on its water params but do remember something about maybe it likes softer water.

Thanks George, great links and I managed to sort out the hardscape inspiration. :) And instead of a single plant to use some red accents to the back.

However there are a lot of "I think" "I've read", etc not enough conviction of how this plant is grown.

The consensus seems that it like softwater, and Tom has told me that it does very well with ferts, so maybe it may be on the same league as the Tonina.

Thanks.

There is one UG iwagumi done by Bulgarian aquascaper Plamen T. Petrov back in 2009. He was also winner in AGA 2006 with a different aquascape.
UGiwagumi.jpg

Aquadream said:
There is one UG iwagumi done by Bulgarian aquascaper Plamen T. Petrov back in 2009. He was also winner in AGA 2006 with a different aquascape.
UGiwagumi.jpg

Holy macaroni!

Now that is something I want to have a go at.

For rock either dragon stone or fossilized wood.

I got hooked on iwagumi's after seeing George's one in London.

A shoal of harlequins would do good for fish. Will move the embers to the 60 cm jungle I have.

I am reluctant of keeping the single angel on such and open space, will have to see how it goes.

Now let me go and buy a couple of bags of amazonia, and make some plans. As I only have 36 cm of depth a slope back to front would be my only way to achieve a loom like that.

Thanks guys the tips, please keep them coming.

BigTom said:
Good luck finding UG Luis, apparently Tropica haven't been producing it for several months and noone knows when it'll be back, so lots of places out of stock.

Where there is a will there is a way.

As I do not have shrimp there are always other ways to get plants. :)

Hard thing is not to get the plants, but to grow a carpet, hehe :)

ghostsword said:
BigTom said:
Good luck finding UG Luis, apparently Tropica haven't been producing it for several months and noone knows when it'll be back, so lots of places out of stock.

Where there is a will there is a way.

As I do not have shrimp there are always other ways to get plants. :)

Hard thing is not to get the plants, but to grow a carpet, hehe :)

Well I do not know about Tropika, but I always keep back stock og UG. it is just one of my favorite plants. Yesterday I planted 35 pots of UG on Amazonia powder. They should be ready in a month or so.
Also I can assist you with getting some UG pads from the Netherlands if you are in a hurry or have no other supply within the UK.

Aquadream said:
Well I do not know about Tropika, but I always keep back stock og UG. it is just one of my favorite plants. Yesterday I planted 35 pots of UG on Amazonia powder. They should be ready in a month or so.
Also I can assist you with getting some UG pads from the Netherlands if you are in a hurry or have no other supply within the UK.

Good to know there is some out there!

You also can see some UG tank on our board>
http://akvakertesz.hu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=514

:thumbup:

hard plant. need low light and sand i guess to keep it down. still you can't keep it on a long term. it will release from the soil after a few months for most of us.

Needs low light and sand? So amazonia may be a chalenge for it, especially as it may have a hard time to get hold. I can always top up the amazonia with some power sand, just a bit to assist with the plant holding on.

I will check the site for more tips. :)
Really need a challenge, this may be a good start.

I think clay type of substrate works rarely with this plant. Maybe more powder on the top of the soil would solve it, but the folks around us never had success with aquasoils.

giving more light the plant will go too fast and will grow out of the subsrate before it settle.

I could grow it in seachem sand and also in amazonia the key is to have low KH and keep UG in pots submersed for a while to adapt and only then plant to substrate. I think this is one of few plants requiring low KH to thrive. I used RO water in noth ways. It was doing better in amazonia because tiny roots could find way through substrate more easily than sand. See Tom Barr tank he has UG there with amazonia.

Back