• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

iwugumi talk

Nick16

hi guys, soon to be getting a 4x2x2 but how would you go about turning it into a 'gumi?

i dont know how hard its going to be? lots of space to play with, im going to use rock obviously but i dont know whether to go for a small island section or elongate it out a bit. (if that makes sense)

any tips/opinions/help

I would personally go for an island, because I think the dimensions suit tnat. You couls set it up to be viewed from more than one angle (maybe even all angles) as a challenge! But you could also get a great sense of depth with the right rocks and placement with that two foot depth.

my initial idea was an island and i want to get some blyxa in there. with perhaps some hairgrass around. i might also try to get some anubias and maybe a crypt or two in there. I want something at the back, but not really stems, i mihgt try getting some unusual swords at the back, after all i have got 2ft of height as well.

George Farmer said:
Massive rocks... We're talking at least 40Kg for the main stone in a tank that size.

where do you recommend i get them from? perhaps look in some of my local garden centres?
i know i might have to do the vinegar test on some of them but i forgot how to do it, it has been so long! if someone would care to briefly remind me again, that would be super.

Nick16 said:
George Farmer said:
Massive rocks... We're talking at least 40Kg for the main stone in a tank that size.

where do you recommend i get them from? perhaps look in some of my local garden centres?
i know i might have to do the vinegar test on some of them but i forgot how to do it, it has been so long! if someone would care to briefly remind me again, that would be super.

just put a few drops on and if it bubbles it will raise the ph, if it doesnt it is inert

yeah, it seems wherever there is a maidenhead aquatics there is also a squires, i think they have teamed up.
so i shall go and have a look.
can i use any vinegar, like malt vinegar?

On the 4x2x2 Hagen tank that George and i did, we used my blue stone from TGM. I currently use it as part of a "real" iwagumi ie. in the garden. Blue stone is relatively inexpensive in comparison to many rocks and it's lovely stuff.

do you have a pic of the stone in your tank?

with regard to the blue stone, is 15kg the largest they do? - becuase you suggested i would need main stone of 30-40kg. Thing with that, the postage! :lol:
my postie isnt a big man!!!

coppice green granite, from CED stone supplies. 13p per KG

_MG_9952-01-1.jpg

tenellustransform.jpg

plantedblackBGlarge.jpg

header.jpg

_MG_1031-01.jpg

sideshot.jpg

the largest stone was maybe 30kg, and still got buried by the plants!

there's not much between the antithetical look between this and blue stone.

wow looks good, i have had a look on their website but cant seem to find the type of stone you metion.

also, where are they located? do they deliver?

for a tank that size i would use the same scale as i would in a tank half that size. i dont think bigger tanks should have the same size stone as smaller ones. i dont know if that helps :lol: but its just my opinion. i see that you are planning on using big stones i would aim for the main stone to be about 1 1/2 foot tall

Nick16 said:
wow looks good, i have had a look on their website but cant seem to find the type of stone you metion.

also, where are they located? do they deliver?
your nearest ones are west drayton or west thurrock.it might be better to go and pick your own out if you can get there.http://www.ced.ltd.uk/Contact.htm

Back