• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jack's 40cm set up

Hello :)

Having planned this tank for a few months now, and saving up the money to buy resources, I figured that now would be a good time to start the journal and run through what I have so far and what plans I have. :D

So here goes:

Tank: Arcadia arc 35 Litre tank

Filtration Azoo mignon 240 (I would have gone for the 360 but it was out of stock) I may end up adding a small power-head with a spray bar attached to increase flow though!

Lighting: An 11 watt compact fluorescent unit (the stock lighting, or an arc pod if you please :thumbup: ) I realise I may need to add a little more eventually :)

Substrate and Fertilisation: Inert Unipac Limpopo sand for the substrate and full EI with Easy carbo as well.

flora: Microsorum pteropus on wood in the left hand corner surrounded by both Cryptocoryne Becketii and Anubias nana, some Pogostemon helferi in front of the rocks, I've considered Staurogyne but due to the low light I may use Cryptocoryne willisii for the right hand corner, and then I'm hoping to produce a moss carpet (probably Java or Flame moss)

Fauna: At the moment I definitely want some of Shrimp Kings Crystal Red Shrimp, as well as the Black variety, and maybe some blue tiger shrimp if I can find them, I'd also like to add either Boraras briggitae or Danio margaritatus.

Set up pictures and steps to follow :)

Cheers, Jack

you really will need more flow mate. im running a mignon 240 on the smaller 20 litres arc tank and i should have got the larger one!
problem is, those only provide surface flow and not 'mid-water' flow like powerheads.

Thanks for the tips, but I have a solution ;)

The pump that comes with the stock filter with the arc tank has a removable powerhead, so I took that off, fitted a guard and botched a spray bar, so I now have a 250L/ph pump as well as the stock filter, I'll probably need a bit of additional flow on top, so if that problem arises I'll buy a more powerful pump.

The tank arrived this morning, along with the filter, but the gravel has been lost in transit by the courier company, but a replacement is on the way due for delivery tomorrow thanks to Richard at Aqua essentials :thumbup:

I'm ordering plants tomorrow hopefully and I'll plant it up on Thursday (that is presuming that I get paid on time!)

That reminds me, I need to go to wilko's to buy a bulb that is much more comfortable on the eye, the purple tube makes me want to vomit every time I turn it on.

Cheers, Jack

Everything is sorted now, tank is filled but no plants yet, I'm going to Wharf Aquatics tomorrow in the hope to fetch the plants I require, and I'll drop the water level, plant up then refill, I'll post pics when I'm done :)

Wow, I totally forgot about this thread, this was the finished product anyway, I used the Mignon on its own for the months the tank was running, never really had any algae problems, it contained 12 or so Celstial Danio's and a trio of Threadfin Rainbow fish:

IMG_1057.jpg

Back