James' 60P

Discussion in 'Journals' started by MrHidley, 18 Jun 2015.

1. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

6 Months after taking down my first scape we're finally settled in our new house, so it's time to start again. This is a bit of a blank canvas, built with only a vague idea in my head, we'll see how we go with it!

Tank - ADA 60P
    Stand - DIY ADA-ish style
    CO2 - DIY set-up with 2kg fire extinguisher. Inline UP Aqua diffuser.
    Heater - Hydor Inline 200w
    Filter - Eheim classic 2215
    Lights - 24" Current USA Satellite Plus Pro 30W LED (decided to import one of these because I wasn't impressed with what's available in the UK for a reasonable price.
    Substrate - 9 Litres ADA Amazonia, Unipac Fiji sand.
    Hardscape - Baltic Rock from AE
    Flora and Fauna - As yet undecided

I'm open to suggestions on just about anything. I'm definitely going to have some Monte-Carlo, Alternanthera Reineckii mini, probably some Anubias Nana petite and some S.Repens, other than that, i'm not currently sure.

t3jsH8I.jpg
    noXleoW.jpg
    spxQq6Z.jpg
    9NvOScJ.jpg
    taPx8XV.jpg

2. parotet

parotet Member

Hi MrHidley

IMO MobyDick (the white one) catches too much your attention when you look at the tank. To give a more natural look I would go for rocks that are similar in color, texture, etc. It happens the same with the two stones on the left. The large one has a nice texture and I guess the smaller one too, but you're showing its flat/textureless face. Trying to align the rock textures can make a big difference (this is how rocks occur in nature). I would also play with them, for example moving one of them to foreground/background and seeing if you add some depth to the layout. Adding more medium size stones would help to fine tune the composition.
    Finally another piece of advice. With this slope (and with the kind contribution of shrimps), the AS will roll over the cosmetic sand and it will be a pain. I've been there before... It's nice when you see it on Amano layouts but unless you plant, as Mr. Amano does, a thousand mini wabikusa in the foreground to prevent the substrate from sliding or you have 20 minions removing everyday the AS grains from the sand, you will end up with a mixed substrate that doesn't look very nice. Place some rocks/wood/mini wabikusa to create a barrier or cover it all with AS.
    My two cents :)

Jordi

3. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

I 100% agree on the rocks, the hardscape is nothing near final, I've also got another 6 rocks to play around with but I don't want to overload the tank. I was intending to use corrugated plastic to support the substrate and prevent it from rolling down the slope, will this not work?

4. parotet

parotet Member

It may work the first days, but if the plastic is high enough it will be ugly to see it. If it is at the same level than the substrate, AS grains will invade the sand due to shrimps' activity or gravity. IMO the key point is to prevent the soil from falling into the sand, and this can be achieved by adding a hardscape barrier (see in most of the journals/layouts it is done this way) or by heavily planting this area to fix the substrate. This is why I was mentioning the mini wabikusas for the foreground. They are themselves barriers, but additionally you can grow a significant biomass and root system in a short period of time.

Jordi

5. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

I was planning on carpeting monte carlo around the edges, also planning to dry start the tank to build up the biomass. Was hoping that would be enough to help separate the substrates.

6. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

rotated the second rock round a little to give it more character, removed the third rock as it just doesn't look right. Don't know what i'm going to do about adding more rocks. I have a load left over, but they're all either rather large, or lack in character.

jhbqM1Q.jpg

ZBr69vh.jpg

7. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

Bit of an update. Added a couple more rocks to the set-up, very happy with how it looks. Planning on planting sometime this week, doing the dry start method.

txFLix9.jpg

Mvl9keK.jpg

Green - Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
    Yellow - Staurogyne Repens
    Red - Rotala Rotundifolia
    Purple - Need a bit of advice on this, was thinking some sort of grass or dwarf sword, thick leaves. Would love some Blyxa Japonica, but I don't think it's available in the UK. Was also thinking, possibly some Alternanthera Reineckii Mini in between the rocks and the S.Repens.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

8. Andy Thurston

Andy Thurston Forum Moderator Staff Member

9. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

I assume there was no issues with snails or anything?

10. Andy Thurston

didn't find any but I already had snails in my tank. A good soak in carbonated water should kill any hitch hikers though

dw1305 likes this.
  11. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

I've never heard of using carbonated water. Like a bottle of sparkling water?

12. Andy Thurston

yes sparkling water and you can use Esha Gastropex or if you have no fish co2 in high doses 24 hours a day for a few weeks will kill all the snails too

Lewis G likes this.
  13. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

Excellent, that's some helpful advice, cheers. Won't be any fish or shrimp in there for the first few weeks anyway.

14. e.santoso

e.santoso Newly Registered

Would love to see this coming out nice.. I have such a crush wit seiryu stones and mountain - ish scape..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHidley likes this.
  15. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

Thanks! although it's actually baltic rock, I chose it instead of seiryu, because I live in a very hard water area and it is inert.

16. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

Planted today. Ordered way too much Monte-Carlo, so it's already quite tightly planted, but better to have more than less. The alternanthera had got a bit beaten up in the post, so Co2 art are sending me a new pot, although i've tried planting it anyway, see if it recovers. Lights will be running at 40% 8 hours a day.

uwKIcNL.jpg

17. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

48 hours after planting, definite signs of growth already, can see the monte carlo roots pressing up against the glass. After reading some other dry start journals I decided to increase light to full brightness and add a bit more water to the tank.

Jdd8WNh.jpg

18. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

1 Week after planting and everything seems to be going well, my Blyxa should be arriving tomorrow, then I just need to wait until friday for some elbow joins for my pipe work to flood it.
    S.Repens is really starting to spread out, the Alternantherna is doing really well, rotala is really starting to move upwards and the monte carlo is doing well also.

y1FKT0V.jpg

LondonDragon likes this.
  19. Sk3lly

Sk3lly Member

I dont think blyxa can be grown immersed. I realise its only one day but not sure how it will do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

Yeah, I know, it's going to be sitting in the box until the joins arrive. :)