• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James' ADA 60p setup (week 11 shots)

Re: James' ADA 60p setup

Hi Schruz

Thanks for the compliments :D

That's a super healthy Glosso carpet you've grown there, and you make some interesting points about the growth of this plant.
Untill now I've not used the plant for a couple of years but last time was in this 20 litre tank.

6776086271_6444531d24_z.jpg

I planted individual stems verticaly and quite sparsely, within days all stems were laying flat and growing very fast.
The lighting on this tank was super intense at over 2.5 Watts per litre and the lamps were less than 2 inches from the water surface. CO2 was at a constant 30ppm and I dosed 1ml of liquid carbon and 2ml of trpoica plant nutrition plus each day. Intersestingly I was using tap water of GH20.
In the current tank the lighting is at 1.2 Watts per litre at 7 inches from the water, CO2 is 30ppm but I am not dosing liquid carbon, fert levels are probably about the same in both cases. Also I am now using RO/tapwater mix similar to yours with a GH of about 5.
The Glosso is now beggining to lay flat in the 60p, and is therefore doing so in less than half the previous light intensity required, perhaps, in part, this is down to the softer water. Also, I do think that the smaller a tank is, the more Watts per litre it requires to get the same effect.

Its true what you say about the growth being too fast, the 20 litre tank pictured above only looked good for 2 days every 2 weeks.

Cheers,
James

Well I'm glad I was on the right track then :) According to this pic, your old nano was stunning too.

There must be a reason for Amano himself rarely useing this plant as a single foreground cover. Only 2 or 3 of his tanks come into my mind where there is an exclusive glosso carpet. He uses glosso frequently though in combination with others like Riccia and HC, where it can also root itself in these other plants.

I think the only way then to keep this plant down is to buy into the compromise that you can enjoy it only for short time intervals. I will probably avoid glosso as a sole carpet plant in my future scapes for a while.

Anyway, I'll be a permanent audience for this journal so please keep posting mate! :clap: :thumbup:

Cheers,
Andras

Hi James I have read this thread with awe in my eyes. It has taught me that having the right stuff from the beginning helps, but your scape is inspiring. Some have commented in its 'simplicity' (although they chose different words, ay Luis, LOL.... just kidding ya) but that is what I like about it. It looks clean, crisp and just how you might expect to see a scene in nature :) The only thing that has detracted from this slightly for me, as the plants have grown in more, was the fantastic transition that you created between the aquasoil and the sand. You used a larger particle sand of a colour that matched the stone, and that seems to have all but disappeared, which to my mind is a shame as it was a nice touch. Will you be revealing that again when you trim ? Also, I do not know that much of your previous work as I am relatively new on here, but do you intend any fish in there or are you more just a plants fan ? I guess I still love my fish too much to not have any in, but I know lots of aquascapers consider them superfluous, hehe.

schruz said:
Well I'm glad I was on the right track then :) According to this pic, your old nano was stunning too.

There must be a reason for Amano himself rarely useing this plant as a single foreground cover. Only 2 or 3 of his tanks come into my mind where there is an exclusive glosso carpet. He uses glosso frequently though in combination with others like Riccia and HC, where it can also root itself in these other plants.

I think the only way then to keep this plant down is to buy into the compromise that you can enjoy it only for short time intervals. I will probably avoid glosso as a sole carpet plant in my future scapes for a while.

Anyway, I'll be a permanent audience for this journal so please keep posting mate! :clap: :thumbup:

Cheers,
Andras

Thanks Andras.

Its interesting that you mention Amanos tanks as I was looking through his complete works last night. Something I noticed was that in the scapes with large areas of Glosso carpeting, he uses a long photoperiod (minimum 10 hours), I remember now that I was running a 10 hour photoperiod on the 20 litre. I think that as soon as the lights are off the plants start producing more Auxin, a hormone that plants produce to grow tall and reach more light. By extending the photoperiod you reduce the time in which the plants can produce large amounts ofAuxin. I not sure if this is compltetly true as I'm not a botanist, but the Glosso is pointing skyward when the lights come on in the morning.

Antipofish said:
Hi James I have read this thread with awe in my eyes. It has taught me that having the right stuff from the beginning helps, but your scape is inspiring. Some have commented in its 'simplicity' (although they chose different words, ay Luis, LOL.... just kidding ya) but that is what I like about it. It looks clean, crisp and just how you might expect to see a scene in nature :) The only thing that has detracted from this slightly for me, as the plants have grown in more, was the fantastic transition that you created between the aquasoil and the sand. You used a larger particle sand of a colour that matched the stone, and that seems to have all but disappeared, which to my mind is a shame as it was a nice touch. Will you be revealing that again when you trim ? Also, I do not know that much of your previous work as I am relatively new on here, but do you intend any fish in there or are you more just a plants fan ? I guess I still love my fish too much to not have any in, but I know lots of aquascapers consider them superfluous, hehe.

I'm Glad you like the scape and are finding the journal useful :D .
My scapes do tend to have very strong and definate lines, and if i was to critique my own work, they can appear a little too grapical. Nature is a unique mix of organisation and chaos and it is almost impossible for us as artists to recreate this delicate balance. Ultimately the artists personal perceptions will shine through, and this is what makes aquascaping so diverse.

I removed the sand for a couple of weeks beacuase the amano shrimp were starving hungry when they went in and they moved it all over the place. I replaced it during yesterday evenings water change (at your request :lol: ) and will post a shot of the tank early in the week.

I always like to add some fauna to my tanks, in fact i can only think of 1 that had none at all. For this scape I will use 8 black neons.

Cheers,
James

James' ADA 60p setup

Great theory about the glosso staying horizontal, by reducing the darker period. It actually makes sense, as during the summer months, when the lighting period is longer and stronger the plants will spread out to take as much advantage of light as possible. Why grow taller if they get all they need already? What they will do is then spread out, ensuring that they get as much area as possible. :)

Even without understanding the full reason, we can at least mimic nature to get the desired results.

Great work.

James Marshall said:
Thanks Andras.

Its interesting that you mention Amanos tanks as I was looking through his complete works last night. Something I noticed was that in the scapes with large areas of Glosso carpeting, he uses a long photoperiod (minimum 10 hours), I remember now that I was running a 10 hour photoperiod on the 20 litre. I think that as soon as the lights are off the plants start producing more Auxin, a hormone that plants produce to grow tall and reach more light. By extending the photoperiod you reduce the time in which the plants can produce large amounts ofAuxin. I not sure if this is compltetly true as I'm not a botanist, but the Glosso is pointing skyward when the lights come on in the morning.

That's very interesting. Yes I always wondered why glosso is the last to open its leaves after the night. All stems and others are opend, but glosso only starts to do so an hour or so the after lights come on. I have a 10 hour photoperiod actually (Amano's inspiration ;)) Maybe that is the reason for my "success" with this plant, alongside soft water. He, I think uses 10 hours in most of his scapes though, even the ones with Marsilea. And tying into ghostsword's words, it makes sense after all. Most of the time in nature, there is at least 10 hours of sunlight, that plants can benefit from (not equally intense throughout this period of course. Anyway, I do not want to intrude into your journal mate, I'm going off topic of your tank here. Sorry for that! :shifty:

Sorry about the slow response chaps, I’ve been crazy busy this week

ghostsword said:
Great theory about the glosso staying horizontal, by reducing the darker period. It actually makes sense, as during the summer months, when the lighting period is longer and stronger the plants will spread out to take as much advantage of light as possible. Why grow taller if they get all they need already? What they will do is then spread out, ensuring that they get as much area as possible. :)

Even without understanding the full reason, we can at least mimic nature to get the desired results.

Great work.

An excellent example there Luis.
Often we can determine more from observing the real world than we can by using loads of scientific principles, as it’s very easy to overlook an important variable and get a false out come.

schruz said:
That's very interesting. Yes I always wondered why glosso is the last to open its leaves after the night. All stems and others are opend, but glosso only starts to do so an hour or so the after lights come on. I have a 10 hour photoperiod actually (Amano's inspiration ;)) Maybe that is the reason for my "success" with this plant, alongside soft water. He, I think uses 10 hours in most of his scapes though, even the ones with Marsilea. And tying into ghostsword's words, it makes sense after all. Most of the time in nature, there is at least 10 hours of sunlight, that plants can benefit from (not equally intense throughout this period of course. Anyway, I do not want to intrude into your journal mate, I'm going off topic of your tank here. Sorry for that! :shifty:

It’s no intrusion at all Andras, this is exactly what forums should be for :D .
So we can deduce that Glosso probably produces more auxin than most other species of plant.

Here’s a shot I took on Monday, the scape is about 4 weeks old here.

6810802431_dc855b1235_z.jpg

Most of the Glosso is now growing horizontly and the other plants are looking tighter and greener. The only area which is lacking a bit is the HC at the front of the middle stone, I suspect this is because the HC is tied to stones here, rather than having it’s roots in the substrate.

Cheers,
James

looking great james and sooo clean! Has the tennelus started going red yet under the power compacts?

Re the 10 hour advice above Ive taken note of the tip and am trying it on my mini-m. Since Ive changed over ive moved some 7 hrs to 10hrs and the glosso is growing much stronger but still vertically at the moment. Im still convinced my ferns higher up may shade it too much which might be th cause of the upward growth but time will tell.

Re: James' ADA 60p setup (week 6 shots)

stuworrall said:
looking great james and sooo clean! Has the tennelus started going red yet under the power compacts?

Re the 10 hour advice above Ive taken note of the tip and am trying it on my mini-m. Since Ive changed over ive moved some 7 hrs to 10hrs and the glosso is growing much stronger but still vertically at the moment. Im still convinced my ferns higher up may shade it too much which might be th cause of the upward growth but time will tell.

Thank you Stu :D ,
No signs of even a red tint yet on the tennelus. I may start adding some ECA soon, that sometimes helps with the reds.

It will be interesting to see if the 10 hours flattens your Glosso, I reckon that Mini-M would look spot on with a really tight carpet.

viktorlantos said:
Very nice and clean shot James! A perfect nano promo for ADA ;)

I love this scape, the different levels looks great and that small sandy area is a nice add-on!

Thanks Viktor, I really wanted to do the products justice :D .

Here is the scape at 6 weeks old.
The Glosso can now just about be referred to as a carpet, although it’s now too thick :lol: .
Have added 10 black neons and a further 8 amanos, I find i'm enjoying the fish more so than in my smaller tanks.

6871486467_40014524b2_z.jpg

6871490785_425f96ca7f_b.jpg

Cheers,
James

James Marshall said:
The Glosso can now just about be referred to as a carpet, although it’s now too thick .
Shagpile!

Looking absolutely pristine, a stunning example of how to :thumbup:

James Marshall said:
I find i'm enjoying the fish more so than in my smaller tanks.

Why do you think this is James? More natural behaviour, easier to see from any viewpoint in the room?

Cheerio,
Ady.

That glosso is lush mate !!! If its too thick, feel free to pull some out and shove it my way ;) How much co2 are you putting in ?

The black neons finish this off perfectly, good fish choice. Looks excellent!

Hi Folks
Sorry about the lack of updates, i've been really busy and have only had time to maintain the tank.

Ady34 said:
James Marshall said:
The Glosso can now just about be referred to as a carpet, although it’s now too thick .
Shagpile!

Looking absolutely pristine, a stunning example of how to :thumbup:

James Marshall said:
I find i'm enjoying the fish more so than in my smaller tanks.

Why do you think this is James? More natural behaviour, easier to see from any viewpoint in the room?

Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks Ady,
I think its mainly that the fish are easier to see, some of the Boraras i've kept in smeller tanks are not visible at more that a couple of feet away.

Antipofish said:
That glosso is lush mate !!! If its too thick, feel free to pull some out and shove it my way ;) How much co2 are you putting in ?

Thanks mate, my pruning technique doesn't leave much in the way of usable cuttings :D , but you are welcome to have all the glosso when i break the scape down.

schruz said:
Absolutely stunning! The reason I love your scape is due to its simplicity yet stunning power. Thumbs up for the glosso! ;)

Thank you Andras.

Here are some shots I took a couple of weeks ago, when the scape was 11 weeks old. The scape is now looking almost as i envisaged.

6835888632_dd0c7ecf51_z.jpg

6982013375_ff2a7333e0_z.jpg

6835889118_15e368b068_c.jpg

The plants have since continued to grow denser and flatter, and are currently recovering from their last prune after which I will get the final shots and rescape the tank.

Cheers,
James

This is STILL one of the most beautiful scapes I have seen. Its' simplicity only adds to it. The "little touches" like the larger gravel scattered at the boundary of the "beach" as I call it, just make ALL the difference James. Bravo! It really is "art in an aquarium".

Looking lovely.

As a man whom is trying glosso for the first time in my Cthulhu inspired tank this journal is a great read in regard to the nuances of this difficult plant.

In regard to trimming, are you doing weekly or fortnightly glosso trims to keep it down to one tier of plantletts?

I'm just wondering how hard I should mow it down.

Thanks,
John

Another beauty to add to the collection mate.

I love the attention to detail and almost clinical appearance. The pruning of the glosso to keep it away from the front glass is an excellent touch, for example. The manicured HC looks good enough to use as a pillow.

But what I think I respect most about this and you as an aquascaper is your ability to effectively visualise and execute a layout design.

I don't think there's many other aquascapers in the UK with such a distinctive style either. The blend between classic Nature Aquarium and formal groups with such clear boundaries works brilliantly in all your work.

First class photography too. The whole set-up and its presentation just oozes professionalism.

Kudos.

Back