• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James' new ADA 60-P ... New photos

James D

I thought I’d start a journal for my new tank, it’s my first dedicated ‘aquascape’ although I have chucked a few rocks and plants in my other tank recently, just for a bit of practice.

For this tank I’ve had to start from scratch and do it on as much as a budget as possible (the joys of married life!). To keep the costs down I built my own tank (60 x 29 x 29) and sourced most of my hardware as cheap as I could find (mostly ebay). Unfortunately I bought my substrate early on in the process before doing too much research (i.e. finding this site), I wish I’d bought some Amazonia but never mind, maybe for my next scape.

I’ve broken down roughly what I’ve spent so far, it might make interesting reading for some one else starting from scratch like me :

6mm Float Glass: £35
Silicone: £8
Z Series LED: £55
Fluval 106 Filter: £78
Clear Tubing: £3
Lily Pipes: £17
Hydor In line Heater: £30
CO2 Set up (this one): £55
Solenoid: £18
CO2 Glass ware (diff, BC, DC, Stop Valve): £15
Timer Plugs x 2: £11

Substrate: Aquabasis plus x 2 : £34
Gravel: £20
Rocks: Free (Horseshoe Pass, Llangollen)

Total: £379

Right, the next step, hardscape and planting.

A bit of background - I’ve always had a fascination with all things oriental, particularly their philosophy and sense of aesthetics, I even ended up marrying a chinese lady, so we’ve got a house in China as well as the UK, the countryside there has really influenced my ideas. I mention this because it will hopefully highlight the delight I felt when I first came across Iwagumi Tanks.... I’ve always loved watching fish, Japanese and Chinese Landscapes and paintings and these tanks brought it all together - bingo, I’ve got to have one!

After weeks of searching I found what looked like the right stones for my scape (I didn’t want to buy any as the ones in the shops tend to be slightly generic imo) and set up my hardscape which I’m fairly pleased with. It should look a bit better when the other half of the substrate goes in to build up the slopes and fill in the gaps a bit. One thing I don’t really like are Iwagumis that look like some rocks have been plopped onto a lawn, they seem a bit false somehow, I’d prefer something that looks more natural, hopefully I’m on the right track.

rrn5.jpg

That brings me on to the planting, at first I wanted a nice HC carpet like those lovely Japanese tanks but I’m coming round to the idea that they look kind of unnatural.

Actually I’m still undecided about what and how to plant which is why I’m holding off - Two scapes that I really love are George Farmer’s ‘Scree’ and James’ ‘Crimson Sky’ in the Green Machine - they both look like works of art without looking ‘artificial’ if I can achieve anything approaching (unlikely) these I’ll be a very happy man!

Sorry about the long post but there it is. I’d really appreciate any comments regarding my equipment or hardscape but especially and planting ideas.

Cheers

James

Love those rocks and how you've laid them!
The thing with all these scapes is they look so damn cool without the plants and then the plants hide the awesome rock layout :p I'd maybe try blade like plants or maybe in the background some larger ones?
Look forward to seeing what you do :)

It would look nice with tufts/patches of one of the lilaeopsis around the tank and the rest dwarf hairgrass. Maybe some standard hairgrass to the rear. You could use some dwarf sagittaria but plant it in pots to keep dense tufts and stop it from spreading. I find the unbroken lawn look pretty boring but have seen a tank I really liked where different grassy looking plants had been used together to give a much more natural appearance.

Hi,looking good:thumbup: Having never done a proper hardscape myself feel free to ignore me but i prefer the first layout,can't really put my finger on why maybe because
the rocks lay a little lower??
I'll be following this.
All the best,.
Matt.

Thanks for the comments, hopefully I'm on the right track, I'm going to think long and hard about my plants or I'll just be fiddling with them every few days if I rush into anything. I had a similar idea to using the different grasses, hopefully they won't hide the rocks too much, I might have to research a few tanks.

Matt: I think I agree about the first one, it doesn't look quite as contrived.

Cheers.

Hi James, the tank look great already...I agree also about the first one..

I am also married to a Chinese lady (we live in China at the moment) and always try to find a balance in things between my home (south of the Netherlands where we have hills and those beautiful yellow lime stone) and China (or Asia)

Hi Martin, thanks for the comment, where in China do you live? (although I've probably never heard of it as it's a big place!) Our house is in Qin Huang Dao on the coast fairly near Beijing where the Great Wall starts at the sea, it's quite a touristy area and there's some great country parks there with some lovely rocky scenery.

I've tried to make a few mock ups of how I'm going to plant my tank up, it's highlighted that the slope along the front might look a bit weird though which is a bit of a concern, I can't see how I can get round it though without a complete rescape.

The first couple of images show a HC carpet and those below show a more mixed carpet of grasses and stauro repens, both have got a bit of Hydrocotyle tripartita.

wplf.jpg

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Very nice they all look good but I agree with above number 3 looks fantastic :)

I wish I could do stuff like that, what did you use to do them ?

Hopefully it will look that good when I plant it next week. o_O

I used photoshop sa80mark, I must admit it took me a few hours but never mind, the boss is out today..

Well, things have changed a bit since my last post. I went up to the Green Machine at the weekend to pick up my mini hairgrass and came back with a bit more than I bargained for.... a nice new tank and a sackful of amazonia!

3t3q.jpg

I tried a lot of different layouts but came back to the original (more or less), just waiting for my new lily pipes and clear tubing to arrive and I'll be able to tidy everything up and sit back and enjoy my tank!

Martin: I've only been to Southern China once when I visited the Suzhou and Shanghai area, I'd recommend a visit to Suzhou and Tong Li to anyone, there's so many traditional Chinese gardens with awesome ponds, rock work and fishes!

6xls.jpg

Apart from CO2 leaks everything seems to be ok at the moment. I think my light is quite weak in comparison to some so although I've got slowish growth at least I haven't got any algae (yet).

Planted a tub of 1,2 Ammania sp. 'Bonsai' and a pot of Micranthemum Umbrosum at the weekend.

p459.jpg

Thanks

Hello James,

Your scape is looking really good, it be great once the plants fill. Love your hardscape layout. I have also just started my scape... Also trying for iwagumi look. trying to keep it simple using just hc but looking at your perhaps some mini hair grass would add a bit more interest.

That total went out of the window a long time ago mate, that list is now exclusively for showing my lovely wife! :cigar:

Steveno: TBH I've gone off my hardscape a bit already, I had it in the tank for weeks before I planted and spent hours thinking about it. Now it's too late I wish I'd gone for more of a 'mountain' style scape, it does look a bit nicer in 'real life' though.

Got it from here.
I took a bit of a gamble on it but so far I'm pleased. I'm not sure how powerful it is exactly but my plants seem healthy and the tank looks nice.

Back