• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James3200s 6.5x2x2' planted tank - UPDATE - 26/06/09

james3200 said:
Thanks Alexandre, 3am.. dangerous lol I have broken 4 probably 2 ada ones :twisted: , don't know why eheim just don't supply clear perspex ones, problem solved. I wont be going back to glass on this tank, too much risk.

I hinted at perspex ones in another thread, you can actually make them yourself, but I don't know if you can get decent enough acrylic cement to do this. For Eheim to commit to making clear perspex walking sticks/90 bends etc will cost them a lot of money in terms of moulds.

Your accident is one of the reasons why I'm wary of using glassware.

Yea they are delicate, but being honest if you handle them with care there is not a problem. I just had alot of weight crash onto them, i might go for the metal ones mindue

James

james3200 said:
Yea they are delicate, but being honest if you handle them with care there is not a problem. I just had alot of weight crash onto them, i might go for the metal ones mindue

James

All it takes is for a nosy cat/child to mess around and things might happen . . .

I had a look at the metal ADA pipes too, but I don't know if they could accommodate the bracing on my tank.

I was doing a total rescape on my 60cm yesterday and broke my Cal Aqua inlet pipe. :(

I thought I was going to be looking at a crappy Eheim inlet for ages, but I ordered a replacement from Aqua Essentials and it arrived this morning. Quality service. :D

Yes, they are very delicat and yes, I am a clumsy pillock. Still, it lasted a year.

James, are your Altums coming from The Green Machine?

Dave.

Il have some later next week. I just did a trim after going away for 2 weeks on holiday. Tank was in good shape, just needed a clean up, the auto system seemed to have worked pretty well

Here is a pic i took with my mobile, came out rubbish, but it gives you and idea of the current growth and layout

08032008002.jpg

Swords are growing nicely now and the balansea is filling well, just need to arrange them a little better, and re-lay some fresh sand which i took out at the front when thining the tenellus. Other than that its looking how i want it, bar the Altums :arghh:

James, what other fish/inverts will you be keeping with the Altums? I notice you have some cardinals (i think) in your tank.

Only asking as i have cardinals, and was thinking about adding Altums too.

What other stock do you have?

Yea i have about 60 cardinals which have now become lost in the growth.. might add 20 more. Then i have 6 checkerboards, il add 10 altums eventally and it will be stocked. May add something else in the future, but need to find altum proof fish, they can snack on adult cardinals when big :?

wow looks fantastic.I joined this site to get inspiration as for years i've had large catfish and other destructice fish and yours is definitely an inspirational setup. If you don't mind answering how much has the setup cost so far?

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Well, yea, i have kept an excel sheet which i have put everything i have bought for the tank since the setup, which i keep hidden from my girlfriend!

TANKCOSTS.jpg

TANKCOSTS2.jpg

Ive got the VAT back on most though :)

Impressive list!

Can I ask where you got the Eheim 2260 from for that price, i can't find it for under £170 :wideyed:

JOHNNY

Here are some updated pictures

With just T5s on

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

With the ADA 8K 150W green lamps

DSC_0354.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

Should have really cleaned the glass a little :oops:

I plan on moving the branch wood up a little so its in view more by placing something under it so the bottom branch is a little more visible, it also needs a scrub with a tooth brush as i have not done that since i put it in. THe balansea is also settling well, the new growth is looking very nice and should soon fill the background in. I am starting to dose step 2 now also, which will be interesting to see the plants reaction.
Other than that and the missing Altums i am pretty happy with it

The growth of the E. tennelus is just amazing, so dense and tall.

The whole tank would look better with a group of Altums.

Why do you run this tank so full of water? I was under the impression water shouldn't cover the braces?

Yea the altums are definately needed..

The tank water is at its highest level as its the afternoon and thats when the water change happens, then by morning it sits under the braces.

Back