• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James3200s 6.5x2x2' planted tank - UPDATE - 26/06/09

Re: James3200s 6.5x2x2' planted tank - Discus now in

Hi James,

Looking good!

I'm glad you went for Discus, but I'm biased :lol:

IMO/E Cardinals are prone to sudden shifts in water parameters :?: , I have 200+ in my display tank, with 21 Discus, no problems, providing the Discus are well fed! :twisted: :D :D

Also impressed with your auto WC, the only way to go (IMO/E) with the WC schedule of a large Discus tank 8)

Cheers, Mick B

Hi James,

Just a thought? :oops:

Wonder if, with all those Discus, you may be visiting the British Discus Show @ Bristol in November??
(Not too far from you!)
www.british-discus-show.com

Cheers, Mick B

Thats a lot of java on that wood :eek:
Tasty hehe
Cant wait for new pics, Remember this was one of the first tanks I saw on this site :arghh: :)

Thanks all for the comments

I am on the hunt now for the next 4 or 5 tefes to go in.. not easy, but I think I may have a source.

Wonder if, with all those Discus, you may be visiting the British Discus Show @ Bristol in November??

Just looked at the dates and its on my Birthday wknd, so don't think I can make it unfortunately

Thats a lot of java on that wood

Yea a bit too much now.. i also have the other branch looking like that also, will get a thinning out at the weekend :)

James

Hi,

Its been a while since I have been on the forums,

Here is a picture I took today, it will be getting a trim soon (fern) and the v.nana that I planted a few months ago is starting to get how I want.

Tank is now approx 14 months old and the tenellus has been replanted once and in a few months it will need it again

Getting quite a few more discus soon (others a camera shy?!), hopefully by end of feb when il take plenty of pictures with a decent camera after the vallis has grown and it will finally have the look i have been going for. I think the draping vallis background will finish it nicely. Its also a bit cloudy as i got rid of some dwarf sag which kicked up some dirt just before I took pictures :rolleyes:

P1000824.jpg

P1000828.jpg

I also added a spare eheim 2217 with an external co2 reactor on the other side of the tank which has helped lots with some minor algae issues on the sand area. Other than that it has been a nice easy tank to look after :)

Re: James3200s 6.5x2x2' planted tank - UPDATE - 23/01/09

Looking great James, this is probably one of my favourite setups, like it a lot
What discus will you be getting, more of the same?

Many thanks,

Yep, more tefe greens :)

Tank looks great,plants look nice and healthy and discus look great in there :D

Thats looking awesome mate. How do the Discus get on with the halides and ferts? Do they hide a lot or stay in the open?

:D

Cheers, the tefes are lovely, allot of personality.

I haven't been using the halides for the last few months, it caused a few algae problems and melting as soon as the ferns reached the surface, and I found this tank does not really need it. The discus seem fine with the ferts, i am still using the ADA step system but dosing pretty lightly, when i replanted the tenellus i added a couple of inches of ADA substrate and root tabs so that's helped.

Still looking lovely, which says something after 14 months. This has always been the ultimate tank, with as many labour saving devices as possible mixed in. I'm curious about a couple of things:

- How long is your 32kg CO2 canister lasting you?
- How much maintenance time do you spend a week. I'm assuming with the automatic water changes all you really have to do is wipe the glass, feed, vac the sand and trim any plants that need it - an hour?! Do you mow the e. tenellus too or just let it run rampant?

Cheers,

Thanks Ray

That was always the plan, its in the office so cant have any stems in there!

The BOC Cylinder is still going strong, got it Jan 08, i have about half left. No word from BOC yet on the yearly rental..

Yep, just feed, syphon any left over bits from the sand and trim, which is usually done twice a month. I just let the tenellus go and do its thing, i will trim the runners that go onto the sand though. I basically know when its ready to rip up and replant when the runners start going vertical and are easy to move when i run my fingers through the lawn, so far so good..

Only thing i would have changed is the filtration, to prime ,its is a nightmare

Hi James

Just wanted to say thats a great tank ! I'm sure i've seen it before somewhere - maybe a discus forum :?:

My 5ft discus tank has a similar setup in terms of water change and auto-dosing, but its not really been 'planted', other than a wall of vallis across the back. However seeing your setup might just change that - the tennelus is beautiful.

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony

Its well worth it! yep its on uk discus forum, posted some pics when i got the discus in.

If you want some tenellus i will have some in 5 - 6 wks, look out in the classifieds.

Cheers,
James

This always been one of my fav tanks due to its size and how its scaped simple yet with an impact.
This is the sort of size tank that I like seeing Discus in, anything smaller than and I won't like the Discus, large shoal and lots of space is great, the vallis will be great for them too so they can hide from the light when they want ;)
Keep up the good work James looking forward to seeing the larger shoal of Discus.

Thanks Paulo!

Yep the vallis has just started to grow strong, it had a hard time getting established in the corner because of the ferns blocking light, but its reaching the surface now so should not be too long.. The discus will surely appreciate more shaded areas, it was always the plan with the balansea i added originally, but that did not work out

I am itching to get more discus! Been far too patient!!!

I have got my deposit on the new wilds :D Will have a total of 10 when i pick the others up in around 2 weeks time, they are in quarentine at the moment. I plan to have a total of 12 - 14 but will see how 10 looks

Here is a picture i took today, i am useless at taking pictures.. If anyone lives near me and wants some tenellus in exchange of taking some decent pics please let me know!!

DSC_0478.jpg

Back