• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James3200s 6.5x2x2' planted tank - UPDATE - 26/06/09

Re: James3200s 6.5x2x2' planted tank - UPDATE - 23/01/09

Hi James,just a thought on the issue of your e-tennelus and algae issues,a plant that would be a good replacement and would suit your discus as well (tempreture and so on)is Echinodorus quadricostatus,it spreads really fast,does not grow together too tightly,it would be easier to keep clean,and i think it would look superb in your setup,regards john

Thanks for the suggestion John,

I might try something after the next replant, not sure yet.. I originally was going to use Glosso, i must have been drinking that day :lol:

james3200 said:
I originally was going to use Glosso, i must have been drinking that day :lol:
Hahaha unless you have a full 24 hours a week to trim it and replant it every 3-4 months :p
Its hard work on my Rio 125! so I can't even try to imagine it on your tank

LOL true, it was a bad idea :)

Slight update

I have got myself 4 bristlenoses (3f, 1m) and 20 bekfordi pencils in a friends QT tank, they will be going in soonish.

I took a picture of the left side of the tank which is one of my favourite views, prob because i don't see this from my desk at work ;)

DSC_0548.jpg

DSC_0559-1-1.jpg

You can see that the vallis is starting to creep up at last..

The koralia pumps i added to improve circulation have really helped and the tank looks allot better for it. The algae prob i had so far has not returned after i trimmed the effected areas and blacked out the tank for 3 days. Still early, but its a good sign as it use to grow rapidly. Found out that the tenellus can cope with a trim once in a while too.

Discus will be going in on the 21st :)

Cheers :)

Well i got a big surprise today, the 180lt QT tank i am using in the pic bellow for the new arrivals has had a few inches of water in it since September / October with no filter, just cold cold water, and while i was clearing it out, there were 5 big amanos in there! Unbelievable that they have survived so many months in such cold water, thought id fish them all out before :oops:

DSC_0616.jpg

Added a fluval 4 in the main tank to mature, and on Friday when I get the new discus I will be moving the intake/outlet of the 2217 I have from the main tank over into the QT tank, with some aged water. I have an inline co2 reactor though on this loop so i am going to have to get it in there another way for a few weeks :?

Now I have to try an persuade others in the office to let me keep the QT tank going for a bit longer as a pair I have in the main tank have become more dominant and are displaying at each other over the last week or so :D

aaronnorth said:
I cant believe the size of that tank :lol: Excellent comparison shot!

Forget that, if the tank is that big imagine how large those ferns must me! :lol:

Guess it is a good comparison shot, didn't think of that

The ferns are big, had to trim not long ago

i'd love to photograph it

Your more than welcome to, let me know when ;)

So the new wilds arrive on Friday James (are they from Chens?) ? Goes without saying, we want pictures asap

Yep, taking the day off and going down in the morning to Discus south in Southampton to pick them up, apparantly they are pretty large :) Might be working late on Friday :D

Here is a picture of the fish

attachment.php

Hi James

Did you use the hard pipework to route the eheim hoses through, or did you replace the eheim hoses all together with hard pipe ? If you replaced the rubber hosing, how did you connect to the filter and other bits ? Also what diameter hard piping have you used ?

Cheers

Tony

I take it also that the shrimp weren't being fed then either? That's madness!

I'm sure you can persuade them to let yo keep the second tank, another planted tank would just finish the office of nicely ;) or dare I say it...a marine tank?

Sam

Hi,

Did you use the hard pipework to route the eheim hoses through

Yes, the only flexible pipe was used in between the hosetails and between the heaters & co2 inlet/outlet.

If you replaced the rubber hosing, how did you connect to the filter and other bits

The eheim universal 1262 has a thread at the top and comes with a connection onto normal pipework.

http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index ... 27591_ehen

Where I bought the pipework they supply the same size thread with a 20mm plain connection on the other side for gluing onto the pipe work.

Also what diameter hard piping have you used ?

20mm

I take it also that the shrimp weren't being fed then either? That's madness!

I'm sure you can persuade them to let yo keep the second tank, another planted tank would just finish the office of nicely ;) or dare I say it...a marine tank?

Nope shrimps had nothing!

Perhaps, ill try my best :)

New discus are in my QT tank now, just letting them settle down before i get the camera out

James

Back