• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James3200s 6.5x2x2' planted tank - UPDATE - 26/06/09

Re: James3200s 6.5x2x2' planted tank - UPDATE - 23/01/09

Here they are!

All looking great and the trip from Southampton was quick so they have settled in well :)

I am now deciding who is the new favourite :p

DSC_0621.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

DSC_0616-1.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0612.jpg

Fantastic fish James. What are they, Royal Blues?

Il pass the complements on :lol:

They are a bit ragged atm, but that should pass by the time they are ready to leave QT

They are tefe green 'semi royal' apparently, the blue comes up allot more under the lights I have on the QT tank, under the daylight tubes in my main tank they should look very similar to my existing ones.

Nice fish, how many did you get? How long do you QT them for?

WOW they look great mate :) this is the only kind of discus i like, hate all the colourfull ones, wild all the way.
congrats mate, looks like i will have to bring the shrimp to you instead to have a look at this great tank hehe

Cheers!

Great looking discus James - how long will you QT them for ?

If all goes well, no health issues, eating lots, then it will be around 4 - 5 wks

Worth it though as it should minimise any future health problems.

I have noticed that the existing stock is keeping a close eye on them, did not take them long to realise something was happening :)

Nice fish, how many did you get?

thanks, got 5

nice! iv always liked discus there so gracefull

Cheers Sam, they are :)

WOW they look great mate :) this is the only kind of discus i like, hate all the colourfull ones, wild all the way.
congrats mate, looks like i will have to bring the shrimp to you instead to have a look at this great tank hehe

My plan has worked :p Thanks Paulo, sure, come down if you like

The discus are still doing well and are in QT, so tempted to get them in :D Must be patient!

Been a few weeks since a last shot of the tank, since then I added a few extra pots of v.nana to help the layout out a bit as I don't want to be planting when the new ones are in there.

After my algae outbreak, of a green hair like algae, which has now not returned after a month or so, i trimmed the tenellus. This did not go as well as i thought and some of it started to die off and get fuzz like algae on it. I pulled out the effected bits and its looking good again. Thankfully its so dense you hardly notice I pulled them out :p I also trimmed heavily the ferns and re arranged the plantlets and trimmed the largest of leaves, so hopefully in a few weeks it should be back to normal.

Also my only male bristlenose somehow got caught inside a koralia 1 pump, i got it out, but unfortunately it died the next day, have not got a clue how it got in there.

I have also now been using the halides again for the past week for 45mins which has speeded up growth and lights the tank up much better (hence the pearling), the last picture is of just using the T5s

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0027-1.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

And at the moment all the action is to the right of the tank :)

DSC_0008-1.jpg

Tank looks amazing James, when you moving the Discus from quarantine? If that going to be your cherry shrimp tank afterwards??? hehehe good work, I really have to come down and see it.

Thanks Paulo

They will be in there by the end of March, in about 2 weeks time i will add one of my existing discus into the new group and if it does not get ill it should mean the new ones are disease free, discus keepers call it the 'sacrificial lamb' way.. if done correctly though its a good way of doing a QT.

I am not sure about plans for the QT tank, as i might leave it running for a bit longer incase anything happens with the stock, and as i have a pair in the big tank, i might move them over to help hopefully spawn them :) Just trying to persuade the Mrs to let me have a small shrimp tank at home now :)

Thanks Tony,

They are not the only ones :)

Got into the office early and had a shock, my QT tank was leaking at the rear base, about 50lts of water on the floor and was still going when I got in. Have done very little work today because of it. Have not got a clue how it happened, but it was a cheap oldish one supposed to be for a sump, and has been moved about allot, on the skip now. Anyway, after going to HSS hire and getting a wet vac I put the discus in a poly box getting drip fed with the main tank water for an hour or so.

So earlier than planned I put them in today, here they are;

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

They seem good and happy, still need to colour up a fair bit though and getting used to the light..

Happy, but a stressful day also.. :twisted:

wow I'm glad you didn't lose them from lack of water! They look wonderful swimming about with the others. This really is a fantastic tank!

wow! I bet stressful is an understatement. They look stunning in their new home.

Yea, I am so glad that no more water came out or it gave way.. it was a trickle, but about a 3rd of the tank water went on the floor. Hopefully it has not ruined the cabinet bellow also.

No breather yet.. i am still drying up the floor, but at least I get to watch the discus :)

No more tanks in the office!

Back