• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James3200s 6.5x2x2' planted tank - UPDATE - 26/06/09

possibly moving the anubias in the recess at the heart of the wood and a smaller species where they are currently, but the vast expanse of the lawn makes the tank look very clean and uncluttered.

perhaps.. Once the background plants have grown in it may improve that, the anubias, balansea, ferns & uruguayensis still have a long way to go

Thanks for your input, always helps

I know what it is, I'd like to see a line of giant hairgrass along the back starting where the grass plants are and finishing in the left corner, I'm almost certain amano does something similar.

Yea thats an option. I can grow them on where they are atm and move them when the outgrow the area

I'd like to see a line of giant hairgrass along the back starting where the grass plants are and finishing in the left corner

Thats what the balansea is for ;)

The man's a Genius, in that case I'll sit back and enjoy watching this grow out. :)

Hmm, not sure about that :wideyed:

Thanks very much, cant wait to get the Altums in there..

with the current plant choice that tank will just keep looking nicer the older it gets, just need to get used to trimming the runners from the tenellus.

:O Altums! My current favourite fish. How many are you expecting to be able to keep? Isn't this tank a little bit bare for Altums? I have always been under the impression they like tangles of wood and plants to hide and move through.

Around 10 or so, F1s, so should be a little more use to tanks. I see you point, but they will adapt and once the background has grown in it should help

The tank looks stunning and is crying out for altums/discus. Then it will be just mwah! *smacks lips with fingers, french style*

I've missed this for a while.

Looks really nice, James.

C. balansae is a good idea.

How are you maintaining the lawns? Have they needed thinning out yet?

Temp running ok?

Altums or wild scalare would be awesome in there, better than discus IMHO. You have good taste....

Thanks George,

So far i have not thinned the lawn much, i think in a about 6 weeks i may have to. At the moment not many runners are growing off the substrate, so, so far so good

Temp is stable, dropped it now down to 25.5c, il post my graphs from the aquatronica one day soon

Yep i think the Altums would be a much better choice for the tank, thanks for the vow of confidence :)

James

Looking great James. Really like the lawn, just make sure you use a cylinder mower to trim it to get a nice clean cut... ;) Striping will look good too!

On the angels, don't just rush for Altums. There are some gorgeous wild scalare coming in now too. Mine have a few red spots, but there are some that come in with lots of red spots on the sides and shoulders. There are some lovely wild angels pictured on this site, finarama, like this one of a red-spotted Peruvian angel,
http://www.finarama.com/tba/al26.htm

Cheers ed,

just make sure you use a cylinder mower to trim it to get a nice clean cut...

If only it was that easy :D

That is a stunning angel but.. i have had my eye on altums for a long time and if i can get them il snap them up. All depends on how patient i am really ;)

James

james3200 said:
That is a stunning angel but.. i have had my eye on altums for a long time and if i can get them il snap them up. All depends on how patient i am really ;)

Fair enough, I love Altums too! You might get lucky as we're at the tail-end of the main time for exporting Amazonian fish still. They should certainly enjoy the tank and conditions.

yea fingers crossed, i have got the feelers out using as many contacts as possible, hopefully should not be too long.. :?

just for us to be totally clear on the score james: all you use is ADA ferts and do according to the instructions? Am I right in this? If so, I'm planning a 10' x 2' x 2' ADA based tank some time in the future, and all I want is vast lawns of Blyxas, Sags and Tenellus like yours.

Yea i use the ADA ferts, i got the 5lt bottles and dose around 30ml of brighty k daily and the same of step one 3 times per week, i don't dose step 1 for the first couple of weeks though.

EDIT: I also use ECA once per week, & Green gain after a trim and sometimes dry ferts if there is anything i need to target specifically.

Back