• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James3200s 6.5x2x2' planted tank - UPDATE - 26/06/09

This looks very nice James, although I can't help but feel it needs the grass area to be broken up somehow either with the use of a suitable piece of branch wood about a third of the way down the grassed area, or I would also consider the use of 2 rocks at the very end of the grassed area, one in the grass and the other at the edge of the grass and the sand. The rocks could balance up the scape a bit better IMHO. It looks balanced now but there is too much open space, again only IMHO.

Very nice though ;)

lol. Shoaling nicely - they will...

Cheers Yoda :p

Thanks Zig,

I see your point being rather empty, but there are no Altums in there yet, which should reduce the open space look when they have grown some.. I have thought about taking the branchy wood out, cut off the lower branch which is hidden under the tenellus and stick that further down with some more ferns on it so there would be 3 levels of ferns which would just give that tiny bit extra to the right

No probs Sam

Altums are now under a month away :p plants growing nicely, not much to update really, the urugyanesis have finally started to settle in and growing well, and the background is filling in, once that's right and the fish are in it should be quite different

Here are some stand shots for you tech freaks :)

The Aquatronica computer and 500GPD RO & HMA filters and in that box are the T5 ballasts and the plug bars of the AQ, above are the transformers for the RO solenoids which are at the top of the picture

10022008001.jpg

Here is the left side of the stand, with the filtration and Dosing pump + Ferts, and if you look to the right there is another IP box which holds the MH ballasts

10022008002.jpg

Hi James,

tank and setup look spot on, nice work.

I notice you have an Aquamedic 1000 co2 reactor, how do you find it, any good, does it restrict the flow at all?

Thanks,

Dan.

I love the inside cabinet shot with the big bottles of ferts. You could work in my aircraft weapons system workshop with that attention to detail and tidyness!

Any recent full-tank shots to share, please?

Re. the altums. Is the importer holding them for a while first?

I'm off to my LFS tomorrow evening. I'll try to get some shots of some 8-10" bad boys. They make a 30" tall, 8' tank look small! Awesome fish - they are... 8)

Cheers guys,

I notice you have an Aquamedic 1000 co2 reactor, how do you find it, any good, does it restrict the flow at all?

Yea i do, have had it for a few years now, and have always found it to be reliable, i may have to put another in to get better diffusion but i do a 36kg co2 cylinder so that helps :)

The organisation was because i had 6 months of planning and alot of time between seting up the next stage, so had plenty of time to plan each step.

I am actually getting the Altums form The Green Machine, they are coming in next week and have reserved 10. They are holding them for 3 weeks and then im off to pick them up.

Re. the altums, are you going to quarantine them first?

Yea i am going to setup a 180 lt tank i have spare next to the main tank, fill it half way with tank water the previous day and add the fluval 4 with purigen in there. I will keep them in there and slowly drip in the main tank water over a couple of days, so they get use to the co2 levels and conditions.

The real test comes next week, im on Holiday for 2 weeks and hopefully the palning will pay off..

Please post some of the pictures George, always nice to see pictures of Altums :)

James

james3200 said:
Cheers guys,

Yea i do, have had it for a few years now, and have always found it to be reliable, i may have to put another in to get better diffusion but i do a 36kg co2 cylinder so that helps :)

James

Thanks James.

That opens another question, the 36KG co2 cylinder, i take it you probably rent the bottle from a local company (BOC?), where is this located in relation to the tank, or are you decanting to a smaller bottle.

NP

Yea i do, i paid £95 for the years rental and first fill. I think it should last for at leat 8 months. I had a 5kg extinguisher, but when i came to refil, i had no luck in getting it done, and it was over the new year and needed it ASAP. The CO2 cylinder is 5' tall, so i cant exactly keep it in the stand! So i got 25m of CO2 hose and i have the cylinder in the warehouse and then the hose comes up into the back of the stand. I then have the wikai (sp) reg on it, works great.

James

James, loving the setup, looks awesome. I especially love the detail of the equipment and how its set up.

Quick question if I may? Did you have the cabinet built or did you make it yourself?

Cheers,

I got the cabinet made with the tank and hood from Aquariums ltd, i gave them drawings and examples of ADA stands to get the style & design i wanted. It is very well made, well worth it

james 3200 setup

Hi james, well what can i say thay hasnt allready been said brilliant just brilliant, i like every thing about it very well mate,regards john

Cheers John

I had a bit of a disaster recently with the tank.. i got my brother to lift the hood up as we have done previously and it slipped and the both the lily pipes got smashed.. water everywhere.. Anyway, that was only the start, it took me probably 4 hours to prime the system and almost a nervous breakdown. I am now adding a spare 2128 i have which will run the heaters / diffuser & UV in one loop and the 2160 just filtering. Thats not getting done for a few weeks as im off to Cuba tomorrow, so there should be quite a nice improvement when i return :) + The Altums will be ready to pick up when i return, fingers crossed.

James

Very nice, tank, aquascape and healthy plants. Sorry to ear about your pipes, I broke mine at 3am one day coming back from the pub, not the best time :lol: .
Cuba, very good, wish you a nice trip :D

Thanks Alexandre, 3am.. dangerous lol I have broken 4 probably 2 ada ones :twisted: , don't know why eheim just don't supply clear perspex ones, problem solved. I wont be going back to glass on this tank, too much risk.

Back