• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James3200s New Altum... :) Tank - ALTUMS IN

Re: James3200s New Altum... :) Tank

really like this set up and the subtle fish choice will work well with the main attraction...the Altums :thumbup:
Good luck when you trim your hairgrass, its a right PITA to remove after :sick:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Cheers chaps, yep agree once all the grasses are mixed up should look a lot more natural

Thought I would do an update, seeing as this Friday I get married and you will probably never see me again :lol:

Only issues I have had is my eheim 2180 deciding to leak from its hose connector badly the morning I was going away for work for 4 days, so I had to turn it off while a new part arrived. Since then its been fine, but it ruined my cabinet floor :twisted: Some of the moss came loose so it was recently reattached. The Vallis is starting to thicken nicely and soon the new plants should gain some height, you can make out the lighter green growth. The grasses had a serious trim around 2 weeks ago and are nicely carpeting and the tennellus is getting a nice red hue to it. All in all quite happy with the way its going, and hopefully in the next 2 months it should resemble what I had in mind. Apologies for the poor iphone photos..

1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Oh and in about 2 weeks time my 15 Altums will be ready for collection :thumbup:

james3200 said:
Thought I would do an update, seeing as this Friday I get married and you will probably never see me again :lol:

Only issues I have had is my eheim 2180 deciding to leak from its hose connector badly the morning I was going away for work for 4 days, so I had to turn it off while a new part arrived. Since then its been fine, but it ruined my cabinet floor :twisted: Some of the moss came loose so it was recently reattached. The Vallis is starting to thicken nicely and soon the new plants should gain some height, you can make out the lighter green growth. The grasses had a serious trim around 2 weeks ago and are nicely carpeting and the tennellus is getting a nice red hue to it. All in all quite happy with the way its going, and hopefully in the next 2 months it should resemble what I had in mind. Apologies for the poor iphone photos..

1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Oh and in about 2 weeks time my 15 Altums will be ready for collection :thumbup:

Looking really really nice mate. Progressing well. Sorry to hear of the mishap with the filter.
This will look ace with the Altums in.
Gongrats on tying the not Friday, I'm sure we will hear from you every now and then ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful tank! - the Altums we look awesome in it, so jealous haha

Thought I would do the last update before the Altums arrive.. they were supposed to be collected tomorrow, but there has been a delay and will be a little bit longer.

As you can see the tank has had some new additions, mainly removing of the moss, which was going all over the tank and too much work for me, so this was replaced with some narrow fern on the larger branch, to match the original ferns planted on day one, and some mini on the left. These were severely hacked back to the rhizome to get the look of the original ferns, so soon it should fill out again. Added a few more pots of tennellus to help in the sparse areas of the tank to help the carpet a bit, added some echinodorus quads in front of the balansea which is now growing very nicely since it has settled in, might have something to do with the 150w halide I just added again over that part of the tank ;) Vallis is also starting to get there, and judging by recent growth it wont be long at all before it reaches the surface. I have to keep reminding myself that the tank is 9 weeks old so plenty more growing to go!

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0178-1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Its really looking fabuloso James. Cant wait till those angels are in there too :)

Awesome growth there. Can't wait for the Altums to go in. Congrats on getting married too. During my 5 years of courtship, my wife has finally given up on let me have my way in fishkeeping so here's to you! :thumbup:

Cheers, all of us in the office are looking forward to the Altums, its a weekly question to when will the main fish be in the tank!

flygja said:
Congrats on getting married too. During my 5 years of courtship, my wife has finally given up on let me have my way in fishkeeping so here's to you!

Thanks, you may think I have my way going by this tank, but we all know who is boss!

Hi
I don't know a lot about Altums, but from what I have seen of them I have to concede they are probably the most stunning of all the Angels I have ever seen. And in a decent sized group, in a beautiful tank such as yours James, they have to be on most peoples all time wish list.

Im not gonna put you on the spot and ask how much they cost, because I know they have a high price tag with them. But can you tell us all if there are different "grades" ? Or why their price is high ? I saw some fish described as "Peruvian Altums" on AQ and they were less than a fiver each. Other times you see them described as "Altums" and they are ten times that.

I am just curious about the price rather than being judgemental. After all, I spent over a hundred quid on one fish when I had a marine tank years ago :)

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris

AFAIK there are no particular grades to Altums, like say shrimp. The main differences with the Peruvian types are the size, true Altums get to have a very high body, banding colouration is different to scalares and they have a much more pronounced forehead area.

With regards to price, there are not cheap and little ones will be between £30 - £40, the main reason of which is that there usually is a high mortality rate on importation of Altums, and once here a lot of work will need to be done to make sure that they are in top health as they are not as hardy as other varieties.

Today is the day that I finally got my Altums :D And I am VERY happy with them.. A few photos too, they seem to have settled in very well and coloured up nicely, i think they like planted tanks over bare bottom ;) They are truly worth every penny

Excuse the terrible photography

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

Tank now is fully stocked and planted up to my expectations, il update this in a few weeks when I hope that vallis has grown some more!

Stunning!
Truly beautiful fish to grace your aquarium.

Thanks, they are by far my favourite fish I've kept, really looking forward to watch these develop. Went out and bought a mini selection of foods for them to see what they like best, so far good old flake is winner, not given bloodworms yet... Will be looking for some freeze dried brine shrimp as apparently they go mad for it.

They are still quite shy and will hide when you go up to the tank but from a distance they go around happily, so feeding with the tetras is a challenge that I haven't mastered yet, luckily they grow quick so they will round the other fish up soon :)

Back