• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JamesC's 200 litre Akadama journal

The Koralia's are very good. They have the water intake almost all over the whole surface so any bubbles at the back get sucked in as well. A few bubbles do get past but most get sucked in. Another good thing about the Koralia is that it uses a ball socket so it is possible to position in many different ways. All in all I'm very happy with it. I think the output figure of 2300 litres per hour is a bit far fetched though. Seems a bit similar to my old Eheim compact 600 at 600 l/Hr.

James

Decided that I wanted a lower maintanance tank as the number of fast growing stems was becoming too much for me. HC had to go as well as it is far too much of a rampant grower. So this week out came the plants, gave the Akadama a clean and replanted the plants I wished to keep. I was well pleased to see that the Akadama was holding up well with no crumbling.

I'm trying a new plant, Lilaeopsis novea-zeelandiae, which seems very promising. I've planted it in the open areas at the sides. Here's how the tank looks soon after replanting. Looks a bit bare after how it looked before but I quite like it.

TankJune09-01.jpg

I'll update with more photo's once it's grown in some more.
James

JamesC said:
, Lilaeopsis novea-zeelandiae

a great plant.once it gets going it's growth rate is quick

it'll look pretty smart once it's surrounded the "clump" you have. looks real nice mate :D

I think this could be the nicest tank of yours, I already can't wait to see it grown out with that health that's so customary or yours. Good luck!

Wow, this could turn into something really nice. It has great potential. Be sure to keep us posted! :D

Hi James,it does look empty compared to it's previous look,but once it's grown in it should look very nice,I like the central mound style scapes,
Regards john.

Thanks everyone. My scapes tend to evolve over time so no doubt this one will change as well.

George Farmer said:
Can you give a us a reminder about your tank specs and plant list, please?
200 litres Rena tank
Arcadia Luminaire with 2x 54W T5 840's on 8 hours and 2x 54W T5 880's on for 4 hour midday burst
Eheim 2028 with Aquamas CO2 reactor and ETH300 heater attached
Koralia 2 with cheapo Hong Kong diffuser below it
Surface skimmer from Germany that I love as it keeps the water surface spotless
JBL regulator and solenoid attached to a 6.35KG pub bottle
Aquatic Magic CO2 splitter with dual needle valves and bubble counters
Bubble rate unknown but 6.35KG of CO2 lasts about 4 to 5 months
ADA drop checker which is a very yellow green
Substrate is Akadama
Water is reconstituted RO water with KH=1.5 and GH=5

Plants are:
Blyxa japonica
Bolbitis heudelotii
Cyperus helferi
Fissidens fontanus
Lilaeopsis novea-zeelandiae
Lobelia cardinalis
Ludwigia glandulosa
Pogostemon helferi
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala wallichii
Staurogyne sp.
Tonina fluviatilis

Dosing is done daily using a dish washer peristaltic pump which adds an 'All In One' solution
This adds daily:
0.5ppm Urea
0.5ppm NO3
0.15ppm PO4
1.5ppm K
Some amount of Aqua Essential traces

Think that's about it.

JamesM said:
Did you bin all your removed stems?
Afraid so. I did feel bad about it but at the moment I just don't have time to send out plants

Thanks
James

Themuleous said:
Did you reuse the akadama? Or is it fresh? Peat under it again?
Sam
Hi Sam,

Just reused what was there as it showed no signs of disintergrating. IMHO mature substrates are best. I did a couple of water changes when uprooting the plants and running my fingers through the Akadama to remove the mulm buildup.

I keep an eye on other forums and notice quite a few people around the world are now using Akadama as a substrate and doing very well with it. In Europe using the Tropica substrate underneath seems to be quite a popular choice, but many people use it just by itself as well.

James

Back