• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Japan inspired low tech

I can't believe this is a low tech tank! Great looking plants! Do you perform water changes?

I have reverted to changing approx 25 percent of the water per week, the plants and fish seem to react well, and I don't get any melt. The only plant that is not doing great at the moment is the luwigia, leaves dropping and attracting threat algae. I guess it's getting out competed by the other hardy plants for the limited supply of CO2.

Greenfinger, yes it's deff due a bit of a trim back!

I have reverted to changing approx 25 percent of the water per week, the plants and fish seem to react well, and I don't get any melt. The only plant that is not doing great at the moment is the luwigia, leaves dropping and attracting threat algae. I guess it's getting out competed by the other hardy plants for the limited supply of CO2.

You have ludwigia sp. super red. In my observations it likes bright light which you don't have according to your pics. I'd replace it with some simpler ludwigia, it seems you eventually lose it completely. Not the best plant for low-light low-tech setup, IMO.

Greenfinger/Alexander, thanks for the advice, I have now removed the ludwigia sp, will probably replace at a later date. Cheers.

Recent update, same stats now fully grown in
DSC_0100 (4).jpg

DSC_0118.jpg
DSC_0118.jpg
[/ATTACH]

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg
DSC_0147.jpg

Hygro, bacopa, 2 types of crypt, anubias, java fern, vallis, some type of floating plant (foxtail?), and the carpeted plant is pennywort. all easy as the tank is low tech (no co2 or regular dosing regime)

I was expecting to see some Medaka, I don't think they'd suit your other fish too much now, but nonetheless tank looks really nice

Some observations about this set up:

Now it is heavily planted the plants are reliant on the fish flake which acts as the fertiliser. If I forget to feed for one day the hygrows leaves droop, Therefore I have an automatic feeder and feed a lot.

The tank is pretty much algae free. I put this down to the floating foxtail plant, which is super fast growing, and also the army of red cherry shrimp, now their colony is up to 40-50.

Back