• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jase's 28l Long/Shallow - "Attrition"

Re: Jase's 28l Long - NOW PLANTED

Cheers Vito :thumbup:

I've ordered a couple more hairgrass to bulk it out a bit on the right hand side and also some Marsilea for the front right, which is what I wanted there originally but girlied out and went for the lilaeopsis instead o_O

Jase said:
You can see from the photo that the tips of the hairgrass are affected :thumbdown:

that's die off mate. trim it all down to stop it. you've got the emerged growth. nothing to worry about.

Jase said:
Do you mean it's only growing on the die off? I'll give it a hair cut then. I didn't have any die off when I used Acicularis in my Pico (without cutting it back) so it's new to me

looking at the image, it looks like some of the emersed growth is declining. some of it makes it through and continues to grow, but to help keep the tank 'cleaner' from the off, it's a good thing to cut it down to about 1 cm, then everything that comes through will be brand new green growth.

Day 5

I can't keep my hands out of this tank and although it's only day 5, i'm already bored of the lack of development :lol: I therefore took some 4 crypts from my big tank and planted them in this one. I don't know why I planted it so sparsely in the first place :crazy: More plants arriving tomorrow too :twisted:

Just need some wood... o_O

Day5.jpg

CeeJay said:
This will be a lovely scape when it's grown in. Love the layout

Awesome, thanks Chris :thumbup:

CeeJay said:
Patience my man, patience :lol:

Easy for you to say, from there :lol: Having open top tanks really doesn't help, if there's a stray leaf floating, you grab it, if there was a lid, you'd walk past - I do anyway :lol:

Hi Jase
Jase said:
Easy for you to say, from there Having open top tanks really doesn't help, if there's a stray leaf floating, you grab it, if there was a lid, you'd walk past - I do anyway
I know what you mean :D
I used to be the world's worst fiddler, but I've calmed down a bit now :lol:

I really like the format of a long tank, bit of a challenge to create a composition in a panorama. For my next tank the plan is to get something similar to yours but create it as some kind of river biotope with the filter inlet at one end and the outlet at the other to get flow across the tank. Gotta wait a long time though for it but I spose that means lots of planning 8)

Very odd shape indeed but an ideal tank for shrimp ;) all you need now is to get rid of that ugly heater and your sorted oh yeah and get a load of shrimp, Sulawesi Cardinals would look awesome in that tank ;) keep it up

LondonDragon said:
Very odd shape indeed but an ideal tank for shrimp ;) all you need now is to get rid of that ugly heater and your sorted oh yeah and get a load of shrimp, Sulawesi Cardinals would look awesome in that tank ;) keep it up

My thinking now is that it is too shallow for fish really (the back right especially) and therefore it will be shrimp-only. Sulawesi Cardinals sound like a GREAT idea to me :clap:

LondonDragon said:
all you need now is to get rid of that ugly heater and your sorted

Aww, you're mean, that heater is like a brother to me :lol: :shifty:

Jase said:
My thinking now is that it is too shallow for fish really (the back right especially) and therefore it will be shrimp-only. Sulawesi Cardinals sound like a GREAT idea to me :clap:
They like scapes with lots of rocks and less vegetation so this tank is ideal and because of the shape you would be able to see them more often and great for photography as well.

Jase said:
Aww, you're mean, that heater is like a brother to me :lol: :shifty:
I can be meaner... :shh: :shh: :shh: :lol:

Jase said:
Thanks Ad, ye the rock is great stuff, it has a good mix of colours with the greys and oranges. It does take a hell of a lot of cleaning though...
get yourself nerite snail-these things are beasts, i dont even have to clean the tank glass anymore :D

I meant before it goes it the tank. In all the nooks and crannies of the rock is a soft clay which muddies the water so get a toothbrush and give it a good scrub before hand.

With regards Nerites, I fully appreciate and admire their cleaning prowess but I'm yet to convince myself that I WANT to put a snail into my tanks :lol:

Back