• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jase's 28l Long/Shallow - "Attrition"

Re: Jase's 28l Long - NOW PLANTED

andyh said:
I would go fissidens as its one of my favourite plants. Plus its leaf structure is small and would suit the size of your scape. I just lay it on the wood pieces and tie it on with cotton/fishing line. Its a slow grower but an excellent little plant.

It does have a beautiful delicate shape. Is Fissidens a gripper/creeper? My thinking at the minute is tie it to the base of the large wood and it grow up and over...

Re: Jase's 28l Long - MANZ GOT WOOD

I just popped by to say +1 vote on adding fissidens and that it will attach to the wood.

The tank is looking good (even with the brown fuzz) I really like the long low tank and dragon stone combo :thumbup:
(I tried a similar layout in my tank a couple of years ago and it looked rubbish!)

a1Matt said:
I just popped by to say +1 vote on adding fissidens and that it will attach to the wood.
True, if you need some drop me a PM ;)

a1Matt said:

The tank is looking good (even with the brown fuzz) I really like the long low tank and dragon stone combo :thumbup:
(I tried a similar layout in my tank a couple of years ago and it looked rubbish!)

Thanks Matt, I think Fissidens it is then :lol: The more I look at it, the more obviously barren the wood appears. My original plan was to have some Bolibitis or Java Fern attached to the wood but I don't think this would work now.

LondonDragon said:
True, if you need some drop me a PM ;)

I have a small amount already in the tank on the left that I got from Moostruhe, but I will definately let you know if/when I need more, thanks Paulo :D

I'd best update the spec. to what I'm using now, has changed a lot from the original plan :lol:

Filtration
Eheim Pro 2222
Lighting
Over Tank Luminaire 2 x 14w T5 with photo period of 8hrs per day
CO2
Fire Extinguisher with Wave Regulator & Solenoid, with Glass Pollen 1000 nano diffuser on 2.5hrs prior to photo period for 8hrs
Fertilisation
Daily dosing using dry powder fertilisers, Macro / Trace Elements alternate days
Substrate
Oliver Knott Nature Soil, Unipac Zambezi Sand
Hardscape
Manzanita Wood, Dragon Stone
Plants
Cryptocoryne moehlmannii
Marsilea crenata
Eleocharis Acicularis
Fissidens Fontanus (Phoenix Moss)
Bolbitus Heudelotii

Re: Jase's 28l Long

Hey Jase!

What about livestock then? What you doing?

Andy

andyh said:
Hey Jase!

What about livestock then? What you doing?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm a little confused about this tank, I put 2 Ottos in yesterday and after about a minute they were listless and I could poke them without response and pick them out with my fingers. They recovered within a few seconds of being in my other tank :? I had just done a 50% water change on both tanks and the temperature was almost spot on.

After Paulo's suggestion of Cardinal Shrimp, that is the way I plan to go - no fish. Just need to find some...

SteveUK said:
How's the diatoms going mate? Have they run their course yet?

Hi Steve,

Diatoms were still there yesterday. It had become very thick on three of the rocks and appeared to be 'respiring' (pearling) and it was annoying me so I went about it with the girlfriend's toothbrush :lol:

I will put a pic up, possibly this evening. I have had a ridiculous amount of more Crypt melt but the Marilea and hairgrass are spreading nicely. Marsilea could do with a trim as it has become a bit leggy

Jase said:
Hi Andy,
I'm a little confused about this tank, I put 2 Ottos in yesterday and after about a minute they were listless and I could poke them without response and pick them out with my fingers. They recovered within a few seconds of being in my other tank :? I had just done a 50% water change on both tanks and the temperature was almost spot on.

I suspect that was down to CO2 levels, i always like to make sure that the CO2 levels are low in a tank when i first introduce fish to a new aquarium. As when they are in the fish shop, the levels are low.

Its sounds like they may have been Stoned on CO2. :lol:

Gently increase the co2 over a few days once you have introduced the fish. That way they can acclimatise to your conditions.

should be ok :thumbup:

andyh said:
I suspect that was down to CO2 levels, i always like to make sure that the CO2 levels are low in a tank when i first introduce fish to a new aquarium. As when they are in the fish shop, the levels are low.

Co2 was my first thought but i'd just changed half the water specifically so I didn't gas them - hence my confusion :? After I removed them I did a 95% WC

Update

Day 27

Yesterday it was trim time. The hairgrass had grown randomly and messy so out came the scissors :twisted:

You can see from the latest photo that the Diatoms have moved onto the Wood which makes the whole scape seem darker, thankfully I gave the rocks a quick scrub to remove the majority of the brown algae (Diatoms)

You can also see the reduction in plant mass to the Crypts, major melt in that area and I removed a few that were showing early signs of melt, but there are new leaves coming through now - thank god :shifty:

Marsilea continuing to grow and spread quickly

Day27Resize.jpg

Hi Chris, hopefully the Bolbitus will grow above the water's surface, though I'm still not sure whether to attach it to the wood.

This tank is definately going to take a while to reach its peak, especially with all the Crypts melting, so I have plenty of time to adjust it, perhaps putting the moss onto the wood, along with the Boilbitus :lol:

this will turn out a beauty jase. :D

have you thought about an echindorus in the back corner? theres some nice ones out there

i would cut the acicularis down more. i normally do it to the substrate as it will die off now, so the less there is to die off the better :thumbup:

samc said:
this will turn out a beauty jase. :D

have you thought about an echindorus in the back corner? theres some nice ones out there

i would cut the acicularis down more. i normally do it to the substrate as it will die off now, so the less there is to die off the better :thumbup:

Thanks Sam, I hope so and certainly think it has the potential to be good.

What sort of echindorus are you thinking of particularly? I've never used any species of echinodorus :shifty:

Looking at the hairgrass now, I'm going to have to agree with you about cutting it all back, close up it looks messy :lol:

have a look on plantedbox for the echindorus. i was meaning for emersed. they all do ok in the average room humidity as far as i know. i have radicans in an emersed tank and the new leaves are a deep purple colour. i love them :D

and i have made the mistake of not cutting the hairgrass right down before. the new stuff grows and the cut stuff dies so then they are all mixed, and to get the dead stuff out you have to cut it down :lol:

samc said:
i have made the mistake of not cutting the hairgrass right down before. the new stuff grows and the cut stuff dies so then they are all mixed, and to get the dead stuff out you have to cut it down :lol:

Thanks for the advice always good to hear other people's experiences, I'll trim it right down

samc said:
have a look on plantedbox for the echindorus. i was meaning for emersed. they all do ok in the average room humidity as far as i know. i have radicans in an emersed tank and the new leaves are a deep purple colour. i love them :D

I have a feeling the scale of the tank will be lost if I use an Echinodorus - after looking at hydrophyte's Riparium, this tank is only tiny :lol:

Back