• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jase's 28l Long/Shallow - "Attrition"

Re: Jase's 28l Long

I think your right about the echinodorus, especially if your thinking about tenellus. I had this in a previous scape and it grew up to at least 6-8 inches in height. The scale might not be right for you size of tank.

So what happened with the livestock? Shrimps and Ottos will help keep you algae at bay? o_O

andyh said:
I think your right about the echinodorus, especially if your thinking about tenellus. I had this in a previous scape and it grew up to at least 6-8 inches in height. The scale might not be right for you size of tank.

So what happened with the livestock? Shrimps and Ottos will help keep you algae at bay? o_O

Hi Andy,

I had the trouble with my Ottos last week, but will be trying them again this evening after I've trimmed the hairgrass again and done a WC. Shrimp-wise, I'm trying to get some Cardinal Shrimp so I'm cautious of putting Cherry Shrimp in beforehand, I don't want the Cherry Shrimp to breed and take over the tank before I manage to get hold of any Cardinals.

Jase said:
andyh said:

Hi Andy,

I had the trouble with my Ottos last week, but will be trying them again this evening after I've trimmed the hairgrass again and done a WC. Shrimp-wise, I'm trying to get some Cardinal Shrimp so I'm cautious of putting Cherry Shrimp in beforehand, I don't want the Cherry Shrimp to breed and take over the tank before I manage to get hold of any Cardinals.

Good luck with the Cardinals. I have never kept them as i have never seen them in the flesh, if i had i would of bought them. Lets hope your ottos go in without a problem, otherwise you can have to work out where the problem lies? :?:

andyh said:
Lets hope your ottos go in without a problem, otherwise you can have to work out where the problem lies? :?:

I have an idea of what could be the cause - some sort of poisoning. I used some sheeting, that I received in a delivery from AE, to break the water surface when refilling the tank (much like Oli Knott) It resembles polystyrene but a lot thinner, you can roll it and scrunch it. I also used it for the same purpose immediately afterwards to fill my 125l. My 45+ shoal of Espei Rasboras were all dead within 1 minute, all sunk to the substrate belly up. I can only put it down to the sheeting. All Shrimp remain in good health.
I now have the 5 Ottos I purchased for the Nano in the 125l and they are ok. I just hope it isn't a permanent thing in this tank, with the NS absorbing whatever toxins were on the sheeting.

SteveUK said:
Crikey Jase, that's not good :( Fingers crossed that with a lot of water changes it'll sort things out. I wonder if using activated carbon would help?

Worrying really. I've been changing 75% of the water every other day, which was why I was happy to try the Ottos last week. Carbon is a good idea definately worth a try, I have some fresh in the cabinet, I'll stick it in tonight

Update

Day 30

Massive haircut gone on this evening, acicularis trimmed right down to the substrate. A lot of die off gone now - looks like it's all gone :lol: Followed by 300% WC :D

I took the chance to take the wood out and blast it under the shower to get the diatoms off and added some Fissidens to each of the pieces. Looking at the photo, I don't like where the two small pieces of wood are now, so they will be adjusted tomorrow

Day30Resize.jpg

SteveUK said:
Fissidens is awesome when it starts to creep naturally.
I attached some to some redmoor roots, then got fed of it and removed it and scrapped it off, a couple of months later noticed little green things growing on the wood, and now it as covered the entire root (photos in my journal), from just a little bit of roots it grew and crawled all the way along the branch, really impressive, but also very slow lol

Update

Day 52 :wideyed:

Overall I'm pleased with the look of the tank, it's developing, albeit VERY SLOWLY.

Marsilea is still sporadic, there are multiple stems that grow very tall very quickly, and others than wont grow at all. There is a lot of root movement though, as seen through the substrate at the glass edge 8) Hopefully this will kick in soon.

The Crypts are looking MUCH better, lots of new leaves, growing slowly but getting there :thumbup:

Bolbitus is sprouting new growth quite quickly.

Hairgrass is strange, not much upward growth and a lot more wavey than when I used it in my Pico :?

Diatoms, Brown algae is still a big issue in this tank, I'm putting this down to lack of maintenance as I've only ever done 1 water change per week. This will increase to two water changes per week minimum.

I've added two red eyed Tetras stolen from my dad's tank, these will be replaced soon but it's just nice to see some movement in the tank other than CO2 bubbles.

FTSDay52.jpg

Good to see some live stock in shot!

How you finding your atomizer?

Should look great once the plants get a little more established. :thumbup:

Jase said:
...Diatoms, Brown algae is still a big issue in this tank, I'm putting this down to lack of maintenance as I've only ever done 1 water change per week.
Nope, put this down to too much light. Although multiple water changes do help. Halve your light and you will see immediate positive results. After a few weeks, when the bacterial colonies are more dense you can resume the higher lighting.

Cheers,

You could also get an otto. They really love diatoms and a pair of them cleared my 3-foot tank in 2 days.

andyh said:
Good to see some live stock in shot!

How you finding your atomizer?

Should look great once the plants get a little more established. :thumbup:

I know, it's really nice seeing something swimming in there :lol: It was my missus that forced my hand "are you ever going to have FISH in your fish tank" :rolleyes: "Yes, love"

Yes the atomizer is great, reduces the equipment in the tank and the plants are always covered in bubbles. I'll be getting one for my 125l when I get round to it.

Thanks Andy, I feel it'll be worthy of a flutter in the IAPLC if it decides to kick in 8)

ceg4048 said:
Nope, put this down to too much light. Although multiple water changes do help. Halve your light and you will see immediate positive results. After a few weeks, when the bacterial colonies are more dense you can resume the higher lighting.

Cheers,

Thanks Clive, I have reduced the lighting from 8 to 7 hrs thinking this may have a contribution, but i'll try turning one bulb off and see how I go :thumbup:

flygja said:
You could also get an otto. They really love diatoms and a pair of them cleared my 3-foot tank in 2 days.

I'm rubbish at keeping Ottos alive, even with offering them a variety of food as well as any algae they can find :oops: :shh:

Jase

my secret for the photos is to take them once the co2 has stopped! ;)

Back