• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jase's 28l Long/Shallow - "Attrition"

Re: Jase's 28l Long

hydrophyte said:
That looks lovely Jase. I like the extensive exposed hardscape.

Thanks Devin :thumbup: I'm pleased with how it's starting to develop

saintly said:
A massive improvement on the background.

Cheers Mark, I have to agree although the hairgrass seems to disappear against the background though o_O

chump54 said:
hey thats looking brill, the white bg makes it into a different scape. nice one. Chris

Nice one Chris, credit goes to George Farmer for kicking me up the bottom to change to the white background :lol:

JamesM said:
Looking good Jase :D

Cheers bud :thumbup:

SteveUK said:
That really lifts the whole scape Jase! Everything pops better and the plants really stand out. Before, they were sort of sucked into the background and the hardscape dominated. Now it's a lot more balanced IMO :)

Thanks Steve, I'm pleased with how it looks now, much brighter and cleaner look. My fish choice is laughable now though, you can't see them :lol:

Fish.jpg

Wow Jase, its really coming along now, starting to look more mature, nice addition of the glosso!

George Farmer said:
Definite improvement with the white background! Credit to Steve for the idea; I just agreed... ;)

Thanks George, yep reading back it was Steve in fairness, sorry Steve :lol:

andyh said:
Wow Jase, its really coming along now, starting to look more mature, nice addition of the glosso!

Cheers Andy. I had to try the Glosso, couldn't let you have a better carpet than me :lol:

It's growing well now, lots of new growth from the crypts all coming out at once.

There may be a twist/alteration to the wood coming nothing fancy...

It's crying out for some of Samc's custom acrylic pipes, the scape looks great, it's maturing well but every picture my eyes are drawn to the eheim green specials.

Very nice tank, I like the aquascape and choice of rocks.
I'm currently setting up a 24x8x8" shrimp tank so it's always nice to see some inspiration.

Garuf said:
It's crying out for some of Samc's custom acrylic pipes, the scape looks great, it's maturing well but every picture my eyes are drawn to the eheim green specials.

Cheers bud.

Argh don't say that, i was hoping nobody had noticed them! :lol: In fairness i've been considering something to replace them for a while but haven't got round to doing anything about it. I looked into some HK glassware on fleabay and the inlets are all too longfor my tank. Does Sam make them to sell? :shifty:

In the meantime i'll take them and the heater out for photos :geek: :lol:

JamieOxford said:
Very nice tank, I like the aquascape and choice of rocks.
I'm currently setting up a 24x8x8" shrimp tank so it's always nice to see some inspiration.

Hi Jamie, thanks for your kind words. I think this shape tank is great, I'm considering getting one built in Optiwhite glass, I like it that much :thumbup:

I look forward to seeing what you come up with and I'm flattered to inspire :oops: Will you be doing a journal?

I don't think he does, he just happens to be very handy with acrylic, if you search for how to bend acrylic tube/pipe or something along those lines there's a thread that more than deserves stickying with details on how to bend the stuff and also a couple of users experiences.

Garuf said:
I don't think he does, he just happens to be very handy with acrylic, if you search for how to bend acrylic tube/pipe or something along those lines there's a thread that more than deserves stickying with details on how to bend the stuff and also a couple of users experiences.

Thanks Gaz I'll have a look into it :thumbup:

Re: Jase's 28l Long - "Attrition"

Rare update from me. This tank has kicked the blahblahblahblah out of me and has been duly named 'Attrition' meaning 'wearing down to weaken or destroy' - it almost beat me :lol: I got bored shortly after the last update and left the tank to its own devices leading to even more diatom brown algae everywhere and then BBA, hair algae, poor plant growth.

I then decided enough was enough and that a tank with a volume that i could possibly drink in one sitting, was not going to get the better of me :twisted: Cue massive cleaning and maintenance programme, including daily 'weeding' of hair algae from my Fissidens, not much but just a few strands growing daily. And with this newly inspired urgency to defeat this monster I discovered the holy grail to the planted tank - FREQUENT WATER CHANGES! What. A. Difference. You can stick your weekly 50% WC up your ars... :D ...bums :oops: Alternate days minimum 75% WC, up to 600% WCs in the early stages of the cleaning

I've added more plants - crypt wendtii 'Tropica', green, e.tennelus.
Also staurogyne repens which, like all the other plants I have tried in the right hand front corner failed. So that's lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae, marsilea crenata, staurogyne repens and also glosso that i could not grow in that corner.
But the good news is that I can grow UG in there :shh: Don't tell anyone...

It all needs a trim and a tidy-up, hence no FTS o_O

Teaser pic :geek:
Shrimp.jpg

It certainly does tease! I don't believe you, you better post a FTS... While you are doing 75% w/c every other day how did you dose your ferts to compensate?

Hi Lisa, with the larger WCs I dosed as normal. I changed say on Sunday adding normal Macro dose after, Monday add normal Trace dose, then WC on Tues adding normal Macro dose after, Weds add normal Trace dose, etc.

When I say 'normal' Trace dose, i mean a triple dose, as usual :lol:

UG immediately after planting 24.08.10 (front right hand side to the left of the dying staurogyne :lol: )
UGPlanted.jpg

UG growth 09.09.10
UG.jpg

Jase, well done mate for sticking with it! It's all to easy to give up but you have learnt the secret (which isn't really a secret) water changes are your friend! The tank looks great dude, how about a few more pics?

Also well done on the UG, the 3 cherry shrimp in my tank have had half of it so they will be coming out tomorrow!
Cheers
Andyh

andyh said:
Jase, well done mate for sticking with it! It's all to easy to give up but you have learnt the secret (which isn't really a secret) water changes are your friend! The tank looks great dude, how about a few more pics?

Also well done on the UG, the 3 cherry shrimp in my tank have had half of it so they will be coming out tomorrow!
Cheers
Andyh

Cheers Andy. Yep, I'm so pleased I stuck with it. Will try and get an FTS later but for now, i'm off down the golf course :lol:

I still have Cherries in this tank but they don't go near the UG. There is something about that corner that they, and all other plants I have put there, don't like. I presume it's the fast flow. The filter blast from the front left to back right corners and whips around in a figure of eight meaning super fast flow over there

Back