• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jase's 28l Long/Shallow - "Attrition"

Re: Jase's 28l Long

I've now got my hardscape together...

I took the 1 and a bit hour drive up to TGM on Sunday with my ever obliging girlfriend on the promise of a bit of shopping. She looked decidedly bored whilst I rummaged around in the tubs of stone, much like I was about to a short while later whilst she chose a new pair of shoes! :lol:

Placed an order with Aqua Essentials yesterday, 10l brown fine Oli Knott NatureSoil, should be arriving tomorrow I suspect. However, tomorrow is Poker night so I'm torn between 'scaping and Poker :thumbdown:

3kg chunk of Dragon Stone from TGM, needs to be smashed into pieces as it's a bit big at the moment o_O

I love this stuff!

Nano4.jpg

Zambezi Sand also courtesy of TGM, don't even need half of this but oh well :crazy:

Nano6.jpg

UK Driftwood from a mate, will probably only use the three smaller pieces

Nano10.jpg

Re: Jase's 28l Long - Picture Update 12.09.09

Looks like a good start Jase, I like the substrate layout but I think the wood needs to be tweaked as it seems a bit unnarutral, I like the top peice of wood but the other two need to be fiddled with, as you said its not the finished article, try and create a natural flow with the wood. Post up your pics of your creations!

Re: Jase's 28l Long - Picture Update 12.09.09

Vito said:
Looks like a good start Jase, I like the substrate layout but I think the wood needs to be tweaked as it seems a bit unnarutral, I like the top peice of wood but the other two need to be fiddled with, as you said its not the finished article, try and create a natural flow with the wood. Post up your pics of your creations!

Thanks Vito :thumbup:

I've added larger pieces of rock to the left hand side to give it a bit of extra definaition and altered the level of the sand a bit, with a steeper transition from sand to NS on the right.

Starting to look better with the tweaking, but I really don't like the two lower pieces of wood now, in comparison to the top piece. The middle piece isn't as unnatural as it seems in the photo where it looks like a piece of snapped garden cane :lol:

Re: Jase's 28l Long - Update 14.09.09

lovely little tank that, if only you had a couple more branches it'd be perfect!

Cheers Garuf. The plan is to now find a couple more pieces of wood to hopefully tie in with the nice piece I have in there.

Next stage after that is purchasing the hardware. Going for a Tetratec EX600 and see how I get on with that flow. Only tank I've had as small or smaller than this was back when I used to breed Bettas in filterless cubes 5 or so years ago so flow rate will be experimental to say the least :lol:

Lighting I will probably be going down the retro power compact set up route, as I get beautiful light from my existing unit on my other tank.

Probably going to go pressurised CO2 on this bad boy as well, no point spending all this money and clogging the thing with algae like the game of catch up i'm playing with my other set up, get it right in the first place hey?! o_O

Jase said:
I'm no 'saintly'

a good job eh?....

looks good to me my friend. at at least a good start. i can see where your heading and i love the gravel/rock idea :thumbup: i reckon it will look crackin when you've finally finished.

the panoramic look is cool.

saintly said:
Jase said:
I'm no 'saintly'

a good job eh?....
Maybe when I've managed to get some decent snaps of the tank :lol:

Thanks though Mark, definately a work in progress as this is the first time i'll have used sand, or stone, for that matter, in an aquarium.

Should have another update tonight after a few tweaks yesterday evening :thumbup:

Right, even I'd forgotten about this tank :lol:

I put it to one side with due to the Pico Competition but that has only inspired me to get this bad boy set up. I also learned a lot about the substrate, from using it in the Pico. I found that it moves, and collapses very easily so set about dismantling the Nano and putting in plastic dividers in an attempt to limit the substrate sliding from back to front.This allowed me to tinker with the hardscape and i'm please with the outcome - albeit that I still can't take a decent pic of an empty tank :oops:

I know the bottom two pieces of wood are still crap but the plan is Amano-esque moss covered wood anyway so i'm thinking it'll be fine, the shape is nice, it's just ugly :lol:

Before
Hardscape2-2.jpg

Now
Nano.jpg

Re: Jase's 28l Long - Update December

I like the new layout and rocks a lot, lovely, what fish/inverts are going in there? maybe nice to have the wood clean as it is without moss.

NeilW said:
I like the new layout and rocks a lot, lovely, what fish/inverts are going in there? maybe nice to have the wood clean as it is without moss.
Thanks Neil, interesting you like the wood, admittedly it's better than the stuff I had in originally but i'm not too sure, I think it's too light in colour. I'll soak it before I decide, see if this makes it darker.

First choice fish is nannostomus mortenthaleri Red Coral Pencil Fish
nannostomus_mortenthaleri2.jpg

As for inverts, I'll chuck some Cherries in there from my big tank :thumbup:

This tank has dragged on for a scary length of time.

I have made a few decisions about hardware for this tank, and with my other hobbies of keeping Reptiles etc, I have decided to go 'Energy Conscious' with this tank. Therefore I am using a small HOB filter purchased from fleabay, this chucks out (apparently) 680l/h and I'm very pleased with it, this may still be assisted by a Koralia Nano I suspect.

New Wave co2 Reg and Solenoid is gonna be ordered in a sec :thumbup:

Re: Jase's 28l Long - NOW PLANTED

Thanks Steve.

I've done away with the HOB Filter because the pump was faulty. I have replaced it with an Eheim Pro 2222, purchased from SteveUK - cheers bud :thumbup:

It has taken some time fiddling around with the flow as the Nature Soil is VERY lightweight and gets blown around easily. I've found there is a fine line between getting the flow sufficiently from the left to the right of the tank without rearranging the substrate :lol:

Back