• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java Fern fixing.

Mister Ron

Seedling
Hi again...
I need reassured that I have fixed my java fern adequately and effectivly.

javafernredformfixed.jpg

my piece a Java Fern (red variant, purchased from greenline) came as seperate leafs / branches, with a tiny root (best described as a curly bit) at the botto of each stalk.
It was proving difficult to fix it to the rock using threads / hairnetting so I wrapped sponge round the bottom of the stalks, secured with lead weight, and positioned the plant in a rock crevice which was a more acceptable position to me. I am hoping this will secure itself here eventualy.
Do you think the sponge will impair the root growth and its ability to secure itself to the rock. I have secured java fern in the past, but it has lways been easier, having more root attached to allow me to tie down easier.

any advice on your experiences would be appreciated. :)

Hi Master Ron, the way you have placed the java fern IMO will hinder the growth of the plant and the stem of the fern may eventually rott. I don't think the roots will adheare to the rock without a little persuasion. Could you not fix the roots to the other side of the rock with some fishing line or cotton?
I may be wrong in saying this and if so i'm sure i'll be corrected soon! lol.
Good luck, java fern is a great plant.

thanks, i'll see what other members think then change if necesary. By cotton, do you mean like "sewing thread". The foam is only gently tied around the stems, definetly not crushed, just to allow it to be held in the crack in the rock. their is so little root it will be difficult to tie it anyway but horizontally to the rock.

have you thought of using a tiny amount of gold seal a silcone for pond repairs sets instantly underwater expensive but brilliant we use it all the time when juwel filters come unstuck . iam am sure it would work the roots would then have time to ancor
peter

I just use a bit of cotton thread to tie them on to wood. After a time the cotton thread biodegradable and disappears leaving the plant happy.

as said already, restricting the rhizome wont help you much :) easy mistake to make though so dont worry.

yep, cotton thread wrapped around the wood trapping the riozome as you go. the riozome must be free to spread, thats where the new growth comes from.

Back