• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java fern

Another vote for trident. Don't know if it's placebo but it seems to grow quicker than normal java for me too

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

All of them actualy, if you want them more bushy, cut the rizhome and tie it back to the one you cut it off from. Or bend the outgrowing rhizom back and tie it together. If you prevent the rhizome to grow out like this the only can get more bushy.. :)

But the Needle Mini does this already by itslef, it kinda grows it's rizhome in a coiling nature and so far the most dense Java i got without me doing anything about it.
DSCF5414.jpg

Good luck finding it.. ;) And beware, they might sell you a younger version of another sp. happens a lot.
There's a needle large and a needle mini and a narrow when young they are hard to keep apart.. :) The large spreads his rhizom like the regular java and needs to be leaded to grow dense sometimes i guess, that;s my experiense with it. The narrow i have no idea..

I think the "needle large" is correctly named Mic. pt. 'Taiwan' - it is considerably larger than the true Mic. pt. 'Needle leaf', and not so dark green.
I have tested them both, and they're notvthat difficult to grow. Not quite as tolerant as Mic. pt. 'Trident' or 'Narrow', though.
The true Mic. pt. 'Needle leaf', by the way, does really not like growing emerse.
- I agree, you will find true Mic. pt. 'Needle leaf' difficult to obtain, and also agree young individuals may be traded incorrectly, because they are hard to tell apart.
IMO Microsorum pteropus in most of its variations will grow quite dense - it is mainly depending on good growing conditions (added CO2 f.ex.).

I am not sure how you call it but the narrow leaf form is my favorite. I am not sure how that fits into these distinctions. Looking at flowgrow it seems I am thinking of the Taiwan but it could also be called the narrow. It is very easy to grow and very common here. (Colorado)

I don't really like the windelov. I don't think I have ever seen the trident.

Here you see a reference.. :)
DSCF5425.jpg

I also did read references of the large needle being the sp. Taiwan. But oftenly offered as sp. needle large. At least i bought it from a very skilled planted tank keeper and both are grown under considerable light and Co2. He grows them for many years and once in the few years he sell what he has grown. HE probably bought them at a time the sp. wasn't realy determined yet.. Dunno..

At the arrow you see young growth on the rhizom as you also can see at the top leaf of the large. Nearly no way to tell it apart from the true mini needle at the left. Also see the shape and differnce of rhizom growth. I had about 20 cm rhizom of the large i cut into pieces, that's the way it grows and spread out. The mini grows in little clumps attached to a rhizome. :) The mini can also grow rather very long (30cm) leaves branching out like a trident. But this can take long time..

Edit: Oh!? What you see there for the large is about 40 cm lenght.. :)

Last edited:
I am not sure how you call it but the narrow leaf form is my favorite. I am not sure how that fits into these distinctions. Looking at flowgrow it seems I am thinking of the Taiwan but it could also be called the narrow. It is very easy to grow and very common here. (Colorado)

I don't really like the windelov. I don't think I have ever seen the trident.
Mic. pt. 'Taiwan' has a bit narrower leaves and much longer ones, than Mic. pt. 'Narrow'. Mic. pt. 'Trident' has divided (usually 3-5) leaves emerse, usually growing far less divided leaves submersed (looks much like 'Narrow' submersed).

Back