• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java fern

Steven c

Hi guys, is there a common reason for Java fern leaves turning black n crusty? I'm guessing there could be a 101 reasons?
Enjoy your weekend

K could be a cause. I find that they like K and PO4 alot. Java generally seem to like nutrient rich waters in general. (which makes sense unless you have the roots in the sub)

I've got black/brown spots on loads of my Java Ferns. Can the colour be mended and go back to green?

I find that my java fern (Philippine) gets ravaged by pond snails. Once a leaf is damaged it never recovers. Badly damaged leaves are best cut off. A couple of years ago I cut all the leaves of on a large plant and thought it took a long time it did recover completely. Unfortunately so did the pond snails.

Damaged leaves will throw off new plantlets so there is always that way of reproducing the plant.

pond snails

Any snail in particular?? Or all of the Lymnaeidae sp. ?? I got some too, dunno which i guess a few.. They do not grow very big in my soft water.. But yet not seen them feasting on the java..

I don't really know my snails all that well. ( None of them will talk to me.) I was told years ago that snails don't bother Java Fern but I came to realize that wasn't the case.

The product No Planaria wipes them out if you're thinking of.. ;) But beware if you have shrimps, they say it's shrimp save and indeed the product is.. But the nitrite peak comming after that could kill them if you have a lot of rotting snails or wurms in the substrate.. Fish don't bother, they need some more but still be carefull.

Definitely nasty stuff for snails and wurms.

I don't really know my snails all that well. ( None of them will talk to me.) I was told years ago that snails don't bother Java Fern but I came to realize that wasn't the case.

Maybe the fern is weakened by some mechanism. Perhaps it's talking to your snails and getting depressed? Someone's gotta talk to those snails after all. :)

Who knows, maybe thet taste like Saté Lemak from a Djawa Lombok marinade.. They have a rather strong smell i noticed. Never actualy took a bite.. :hungry:

Today i received my Java Philippine.. :woot: Must say very lovely Java.. Bright green and i can imagine it being on a snails which list when sliding along the sallad bar.. It has very thin and very soft leaves.. Much thinner and softer than any other java i have which have rather hard leaves compared to this fragile and soft baby..

Here it is next to it's nephew from Taiwan.. Got a load of pond snail in there i'll keep a close eye to it.. Maybe another reason to put a litle harem of dwarfpuffers in this tank.
Than i would name them Persephone, Reiha and Cerberus.. :playful: :hungry:
DSCF5444 (Kopie).JPG

Back