java fern

:lol: I don't think that's Java Fern...

I think Phillipine is slightly longer and a bit thinner... I don't really know how to explain. Go onto Google Images and compare.

Steve Smith

Philippine fern is pretty similar to Java, but the leaf has a defined stamped pattern, like it's been stamped out. I guess the pattern is similar to the one you linked too, but the leaf shape is the same as normal Java.

Nick16

yeah the pic looks a bit funny. its cheap as well so got me thinking.

anyway, what is the tropica java fern 'needle' like? as it is 7.50 a pop but is it massive? or alternatively does anyone have a decent amount they want to send to me? (i will pay of course)

Ed Seeley

That's not Java fern at all. I've seen it sold as a number of different names. I've bought it a couple of times and it never did well, but I never tried it in a high-tech tank.

Nick16

it says in my catalogue it is a marsh plant and will only survive in the aquarium for a little while hence the price i guess. so perhaps they have just put the wrong name on it?

Steve Smith

I remember buying something which I think was called "Malaysian Fern". Looked similar but had more of a ivy leaf shape, with 2 smaller bits either side of the main leaf, but still with the long stalk. It lasted quite a while, even when neglected :)