• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java Moss As A Carpet

myboyshay

I've got a easy maintenance set up and I'm really wanting to have a good carpet of green.
After researching the likes of riccia, HC etc I think they're pretty much a no go without high lighting and CO2 injection.
Would I be able to use java moss tied to slate/netting with hair net to get a decent looking carpet?

My tank has a gravel only subsrate and I dose daily with TPN+ and Easy Carbo.

Thanks in adavance

Mark

Java moss won't make a brilliant looking carpet, but you could give it a go.

Other people on the forum seem to have had great results growing HC with Easy Carbo/Excel - could you scrounge a bit of that off someone and give it a go in your tank? Try and plant it where it's not shaded by other plants if you're concerned that your lighting is a bit low.

If it doesn't work (or at the same time) you could try making a Java moss carpet too - see which one you like best/does best!

Best,

Mark

I'd say that a moss carpet could be done. IMO it takes a while to adjust to EC but I've grown loads while slightly overdosing, so no problems there. Could if you're dosing EC you might as well give HC a go. I takes a bit longer to establish compared to CO2 but once it takes hold you have to keep trimming it. I planted individual stems (with and without roots) and it completely covered the substrate in 8 weeks or so with only a few stems not taking hold. You might get it to cover faster if you plant small clumps of it?

Would love to try HC but will it plant OK in a fine gravel substrate or would I be best attaching it to some slate or net?
Cheers!

A moss carpet would be easy, but consider any moss other than Java. It is a very untidy looking moss, IMO.

Dave.

Thanks Dave and everyone else who's chipped in.

I'm going to order some "flame moss" on mesh from aqua essentials and I think that'll finish my scape off just nice.

When I do a new set up (I'm itching to do one already) I'm going to have a full HC carpet.

Thanks everyone

Mark!

myboyshay said:
I'm going to order some "flame moss" on mesh from aqua essentials and I think that'll finish my scape off just nice.
Flame moss is the worst possible moss for a carpet as it grows upwards towards the surface.
Best one for this would be Xmas moss, its by far the best looking moss and spreads pretty well in all directions sideways.

I agree with not using flame moss. Xmas moss is a good choice. You might consider Taiwan moss as well. I have that and am continually pulling little tufts off of the gravel here and there where it keeps trying to form a carpet ;)

Just done a google search and can't seem to find anyone in the UK who sells Xmas moss, anyone know where I can get hold of some.

Cheers!

posting a '[WANTED] XMas moss' post in the swap\sell section on here will probably be fruitful.

jjcaquatics on ebay usually have some, i brought some a couple weeks back for £3.99 +£1.79 postage and the amount i recieved was certainly worth it :)

jen

Back