• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java Moss turning brown

Glank27

Hi,

Just received my order i placed from Java-Plants UK. All plants seem fine, apart rom the moss which is half green, and half brown. I tried to get rid of most of the brown parts, but i still got a fair amount of it tied onto my tank's moor-wood piece. As i have no experience of mosses, i'd like to ask if the moss will recover after adaptation period and will produce new green growth, or else the moss is on its way to die. I read everywhere that java moss is very easy and hardy, so in view of this, can i expect a decent recovery?
Also temperature is on the high side due to summer heat here in Malta...infact water temperature is around 32-33 celcius. Will this block the growth of moss and plants?

Browning of plants is due to too much light, or insufficient CO2, or poor flow distribution, or any combination of these. Since you haven't described your tank in any detail it's difficult to say exactly what the fault is.

Cheers,

From experience, moss in general do not tolerate high temps. Java moss is the most tolerant of temps above 29'C. I once forgot to turn my chiller back on after a water change and my Xmas moss turned brown when I left for the weekend. Water temps were probably around 31'C.

Here's what they looked like after 4 days without a chiller. The brighter green on top is actually some stubborn Java moss which refused to dislodge from the driftwood.
DSC06846.jpg

I`m talking about the plant that showed up half brown after opening it right after the postal delivery, so its not a problem related to my tank. Anyway, my tank is 240 litres, no-Co2, 2x54W T5 Lighting, with AquaMedic Volcanit substrate.

Back