• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java moss - Vesicularia dubyana

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
H iguys, at the BBQ James C gave me a bag full of the healthiest java moss i have ever seen. (cheers mate ;))

I promptly took it home and dressed my new piece of wood (medium red moore wood from AE) and it looked stunning! but after a day or two in my discus tank it has pretty much died, well it is all brown and rotten. I had only used a small bit on the wood and kept the majority of it loose in my cold water nano with less than 1WPG and no extra ferts what so ever and it has stayed as lush as the day i brought it home.
Any ideas? this is the only photo i have (i'm at work at the mo) but you get the idea, :)
Bluedark.jpg

Discus Tank:
Temp: 30 degrees
Size (Litres): 180
Light: 1.8WPG
Photoperiod: 10hrs
Ferts: EI+tropica+
Co2: 4BPS
Substrate: 2cm Tetra Complete Substrate covered by 2cm front to 6cm back slope of 2mm gravel.

Nano:
Temp: 24 degrees
Size (Litres): 24
Light: >1WPG
Photoperiod: 8hrs
Ferts: nil
Co2: nil
Substrate:2cm front to 6cm back slope of 2mm gravel.

If I recall correctly mosses don't like being too hot, ie 30+ degrees, but prefer the lower twenties.

Mmmm, just done a quick search and other people seem to think that java moss does alright at 30 degrees. Not so sure myself. Still think it may be a bit too hot for it.

James

cheers guys. i'll check the flow out and see what i can do.

Obviously i can't do much about the temp.

I'll pop a bit in loose too and see if that has the same effect, i doubt that strapping it to the wood has made a difference but can't hurt to try.

Has anybody had any experience in using it as a carpeting plant for the substrate, i think it would make a lovely carpet in my nano?

Thanks again guys.

I had the java moss growing in two different tanks. In my high light, CO2, EI tank it never really did that well and grew pretty slowly. Eventually ripped it out. In my shrimp breeding tank which gets no ferts, no CO2 and has lowish light it grew like there was no tomorrow.

btw the java moss you've got is from the shrimp tank.

James

Right then guys, if i decide to whip out the java moss what else do you recon i should use? somthing a bit different maybe. Any suggestion are most welcome.

Back