• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jay's New Re-scape

Re: New 4FT. Low maintanance. Hopefully

WOW, this tanks turning into a right stunner!

Re: New 4FT. Low maintanance. Hopefully

^ definately! I have to admit, I didn't expect it to turn out as good as it has done! Well done.

Re: New 4FT. Low maintanance.(update 23:10:08)

Garuf said:
WOW, this tanks turning into a right stunner!

Themuleous said:
Yep yep, lovely scape, I'd be well chuffed with that :)
Thanks very much guys. There's something odd about the right side to me though. Seems like its becoming a bit.... Dutch?
Added some rotala rotundefolia at the back too so it will be even more demanding with the pruning :?
Probably end up planting more valis nana that side also.

Thomas McMillan said:
^ definately! I have to admit, I didn't expect it to turn out as good as it has done! Well done.

Errr... thanks.... I think :oops: :lol:

Yep, have to agree, it does look good.

What sand are you using? Is it just play sand or have you got something a bit more "exotic" in there? In one of the close up pics it looks like you've AS in there as well?

Amazonia at the back and Bright Sand foreground.
Was a nice clean cut line until the shrimps got at it :mad:
I will neaten it up once the HC has grown over AS in a few weeks.

Hi Ray, cheers.
Yeah the rummies and cardinals school beautifully, rummies darting along and cardinals slowing just behind.
All really graceful like :D Really need more in there though.
Tis a Czech Ram I think, he's a big old boy, but he's in a another tank now with the female.
I've got an apistogramma trifasciatum pair and laetacara dorsigera pair. " species of dwarf cichlid, very peaceful but make the tetras shoal even better.
It was my 1st cylinder that I started using about a year ago on my first tank, so it did me well.
Back on full lighting now 4 hours a day (2 tubes for 9 hours) now my C02 has stabilized again. All traces of staghorn gone (Thank you Clive).
Only upped the light again to grow out my new HC Cuba carpet, then I'll lower it again.

nicey.jpg

The sand is a mess from the shrimps moving the small gravel I added around the rocks.
I'll add some more closer pics of the detail around the hardscape.

Used Photoshop as an homage to Mr Crawford :D
Sorry about the poor quality pictures.
Anyway, comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Re: New 120cm, Forest Clearing.(update 26:11:08)

It's beautiful, really really beautiful.
Can I have it? :lol:

Well done, mate. easily one of the nicest scapes on here.

Nice!

Looks very natural to me!

Keep the good work!

Tank is looking great :) good job on that, just not too keen on the vallis but other than that is spot on.

Congrats and keep us posted :)

Damn!! Thanks very much to everyone for the kind comments.

Garuf said:
Well done, mate. easily one of the nicest scapes on here.

I'm fairly stunned at that. Not too sure about it but cheers very much for the confidence boost.
Just wanna get my hands in there and clean it up now :D

LondonDragon said:
Tank is looking great :) good job on that, just not too keen on the vallis but other than that is spot on.

Congrats and keep us posted :)

totally understand your feelings on the vallis mate. It was much denser on both sides and arching over the meadow in the middle but I hacked at it recently. Was thinking of swapping it round for some Eleocharis Vivipara, but I think that it can be pretty high maintenance.
Was thinking of Isoetes Japonica or Giant Hairgrass ( Eleocharis montevidensis? ) But I'm not sure as I can't seem to find much info on either species.

Anyway, he's a quick shot of some new residents.
DSCN0345.jpg

8 Diamond tetras!! They're young but starting to get a beautiful iridescent colouring to them... kinda like a diamond :rolleyes:

Well, Jamie got bored. "Forest Clearing" (sure I've heard that somewhere before) is dead. What with all the new 'scapes coming on here, I wanted to try something I wanted for a while.
Its an island 'scape, but I've kinda ripped through the middle of it to create a sort of pathway...
This is the right side
Image424.jpg

Here's the centre, with the path I tried using a mat of HC "Cuba" rather than the usual sand.
Image425.jpg

The left side.
Image426.jpg

No stems at all in this layout. Just mosses, ferns and anubias "nana", which I may change to "petite".
Each side will have HC "cuba" and haigrass, and I'm going to attempt utricularia graminifolia.

I've changes the path to sand... so much better, it really adds depth to my relatively shallow tank.
Come up with some new pics soon.

I love your HC medow with the light green clover type things poking through, what plant is that, I'd love to recreate that effect in the foregroung of my tank. Looks straight out of Amano museum :D

Back