• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jay's new 'scape 120cm

Re: Jay's "The Fobidden Land" ADA entry teaser.

sorry, im at it again, i meant it the other way around :lol: i guess which stem you choose dictates the speed.

:p True.
Bt stems are a no no for this 'scape. Was thinking Eleocharis Vivipara but it can end up looking a mess. Also, I don't think it would suit the thicker wood of this 'scape.

Could do. I've sen called Isoetes Japonica, it looks like a thick grass. It's in a couple of 'scapes in Amano's Nature Aquarium Books 2 and 3.

Here we go then.
angleshottitle.jpg

Need to fill out all the little nooks and crannies. (moss methinks!!!)
Really considering stems to fill out the sides too. Not sure how else to do it. Unless I make each side a meadow, with my lileopsis and HC.
newfulltank.jpg

Yes... that is a clothes horse behind the tank :oops: :lol:

its very nice but it needs some wood linking the two islands it doesnt look balanced at the moment.

hhhmmmmmm.... I know what you mean about the balance, but I think I can achieve that by more planting on the left side wood arrangement. Another piece of wood reaching above the water surface will be placed between the two sticking out of the left island. The wood I've used is very rigid looking, not like redmoor root. If I have more conecting the two islands, it could just end up looking like a man made bridge or something.

I think it's actually that wood that's breaking the surface that's throwing it for. It's so flat...

Garuf said:
I think it's actually that wood that's breaking the surface that's throwing it for. It's so flat...

Definitely know what you mean there. It's like a metal pole!!! I did make a bit of a wrong'un there. But If I try taking it out, then it will be a major pain. was thinking of tying some moss on that flat side and shaping it a bit, maybe a couple of over hangs. Know what I mean?

You'll need something with more body than moss. Try bolbitis and if you hate it or it doesn't work you'll have to bite the bullet and take it out. :twisted:

Excellent scape, Jay!

Dave.

Am I the only one who thinks those rules are stupid? I love seeing the pictures of set ups, if people are hiding them for a competition then it's a duller hobby.

Garuf said:
Am I the only one who thinks those rules are stupid? I love seeing the pictures of set ups, if people are hiding them for a competition then it's a duller hobby.

Nope, you're certainly not :bored:

saintly said:
what about the ADA rules on full tank shots? :?

Well it's no where near final stages of design, and even so.... I've decided not to let any corporation restrict the way I interact with my hobby. I do this for myself, and part of why I enjoy this hobby so much is the feedback I get on here and other forums, not for comps.

So when it comes to the IAPLC, and I enter, and they decide to get arsey over a full tank shot, then Amano can expect a couple of "stern" letters expressing my annoyance and disappointment.

Fight the power!!! :twisted:

jay said:
So when it comes to the IAPLC, and I enter, and they decide to get arsey over a full tank shot, then Amano can expect a couple of "stern" letters expressing my annoyance and disappointment.

rules are rules jay.

saintly said:
jay said:

rules are rules jay.

Sound like my old man there Mark :lol:

But it will be fine, it's not the finished 'scape. If that was the case, then I don't think half the CAU boys would be able to enter.

jay said:
Well it's no where near final stages of design, and even so.... I've decided not to let any corporation restrict the way I interact with my hobby. I do this for myself, and part of why I enjoy this hobby so much is the feedback I get on here and other forums, not for comps.

I agree with this totally, but I am considering keeping my 120cm under wraps, just in case I enter it.

Dave.

Mind you - rules should be checked to make sure they are pertinent.

I initially thought it might have been something to do with getting advice from forums, etc but then what stops you from getting everybody round your house and doing adjustments that way.

I would imagine it's more to do with copyrighting, do you not have to sign a waiver when entering that allows them to do what they want with the photos ?

Been a while but here is the re-hash 'scape.
Needs a lot of work (planting)
goodimagesideview.jpg

Some of you may recognise some of the wood (thank you Mr Evans) 8)
Its got eleocharis vivipara at the back with rotala wallichii thats reddening up nice and rotala rotundifolia thats just sitting there doing nothing :rolleyes:

This scape needs a whole lot more height and i'm planning on tying some more microsorum higher up on some of the wood, and i'm expecting a lot of hairgrass and crypt parva soon to fill out around the stone.

Got more inhabitants now, these lil' fellas
greenneon.jpg

green neons. beautiful

Cheers.

Back