• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jay's new 'scape 120cm

Thanks.
Yeah i think having lots of small tetras and dwarf cichlids really adds scale to it.

This has been a really clean set up for me, no algae (touch wood). Not even much on the glass.
Cranked Co2 right up, drop checker is near yellow.
Add TPN+ 4ml daily.
AS amazonia behind the "tree line".

vivipara is doing surprisingly well. new shoots!!

Thomas McMillan said:
Now this is my type of tank! It well does look much bigger, should be nice to see this one progress. ;)

I just need to stop getting ideas in my head!! Suppose to be a long term tank but i've done about 3 'scapes already :rolleyes:

cheers

jay said:
Thomas McMillan said:
Now this is my type of tank! It well does look much bigger, should be nice to see this one progress. ;)

I just need to stop getting ideas in my head!! Suppose to be a long term tank but i've done about 3 'scapes already :rolleyes:

cheers

I used to be like that... Then I discovered will-power my friend :lol:

I got that, just too may ideas to get through.
Got a new wee tank for that now though, should be able to leave this be for a while.

Tank is looking great and the wood is awsome, lucky you to get it off mark hehe :)
I wouldn't change a lot at the front, looks fine to me, maybe add some texture in a way of various size pebbles and then maybe get some stems at the back, or some vallis if you want to keep it low tech.

full tank shot. still plenty of growing!!
Added some eleocharis parva around the front of the rocks to soften the edges (hopefully)
then going to do as LD suggested and add more graded gravel... hopefully calm down the clinical nature of the sand foreground. Not going to use too much gravel for this one though as i find it unnatural with seiyru rock. Just get smashing i reckon :twisted:
goodfrontshot.jpg

horrible photography, but i was in a bit of a rush.

Hi jay,

thats a real nice looking scape,do you plan to keep it as a long tem scape?seeing as you have slow growers and low light plants,

regards john.

john starkey said:
do you plan to keep it as a long tem scape?seeing as you have slow growers and low light plants,

regards john.

definitely. just got 2 t5 tubes its all coming along nicely.
just got the 2 rotala sp that could give me grief.

Thomas McMillan said:
This has to be one of my favourite tanks of all time. I just love everything about it!

you ain't seen nuttin' yet ;) :lol:

thanks very much for that confidence boost Tom.
Really believe I could have made something better with the hardscape, but as i didnt have anywhere to put the fish while i emptied the tank, i had to do all the 'scaping with water and fish still in the tank.

Cheers

I think the hardscape is fine, it works as a jungle-type scape. I think the gravel will add much more definition to the scape, have you thought about adding some Crypts?

theres a ton of crypts in there mate.
lucens, wenditii, bullosa, and onite, parva. I love crypts and feel they NEED to b in there :)

Loving the scape Jay :) It has a great panoramic feel to it. I love the wood! It looks very "grounded" like it's supposed to be where it is. The ferns look brilliant too, very well placed and really join the hardscape together :)

It really reminds me of some of the CAU scapes, specifically David Chow's "Ashy Range". I love how he's blended the sand and rocks with different grades of gravel/sand. I can't really see on your photo but I think doing something like that would be a great addition (if you haven't already!) Graeme's your man for pointers on this if you wanted any :)

Again, looks amazing!

Thanks Steve. Yeah the CAU guys are a big influence to my style i think.
Know just what you mean with the graded gravel, just a bit worried about using too much. I already started with it...
Here:
gravelcloseup.jpg

This gravel has eleocharis parva planted in there now.

Have to excuse all the fish, they thought it was feeding time :D

The "log" at the back there, it's covered in flame moss, so hopefully once it starts growing out from the fishing line it will be quite the beauty ;)

Back