• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JB - 90P

J-Bonham

Hi, this will be my step up from a 60p that's been going nearly 2 years now.

The 90p has actually been scaped for a while now but i'm yet to build the cabinet for it so plans are on hold! I've still been really enjoying the 60p too so i've had no real rush to get water in this one. I only really have time to run one tank, to the 90 will be the replacement for the 60.

These are some of the variations i've come up with -->
(1)
IMG_0010.jpeg
IMG_9997.jpeg
IMG_0019.jpeg

Last edited:
Great looking scape, gives plenty of room for planting options.....

Ah yes. The path in-between. I think I've seen something similar already. Once. Or twice, perhaps...;)

This is the final scape, lots of room upfront for epiphyte plants, I’ve leant from the 60 to give the plants a bit more room to grow out.

The big “trunk” is too high for my liking so this will be trimmed down to bring a bit more balance.

Loads of room out back for both ease of maintenance and to let plants grow to their full potential. Something I’ve struggled with somewhat on the 60p
E47401BB-C225-4735-BB21-774F0DDA230D.jpeg
932E413B-9481-436F-9B5A-A4F8B3369621.jpeg
4637B349-A39F-43BF-BF6D-A800FB257DF9.jpeg
30BF5C46-577A-434C-B59A-69D8771D1B50.jpeg
02F63DF5-821B-4A2B-AB37-7978D585B204.jpeg

I’ll chop the top off and add some sand in the foreground then update with more pictures.

Last edited:
I’ve been toying with the idea of a “cork” cabinet for ages, I’ve chucked a tester together tonight and I think it will look great!

I’ll be building the carcass out of birch ply as it’s lovely to work with and really strong. I’ll then laminate some thin cork over the top essentially using the cork as a decorative veneer.

CAAB5A25-5E30-48A5-ABDC-7A95B9FD842B.jpeg
0B93960B-A86B-46CF-86B0-1027EBF0A7E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Idea for the cork has gone out the window...

I've ordered a couple sheets of Douglas fir plywood so this will hopefully be moving forward in the not too distant future! Douglas fir has a wild and pronounce face grain that I really like the look of. Its also exterior grade so no issues with water damage, although it will also be finished in a few coats of high end oil.

Douglas-Fir-Plywood.jpeg

You have a lot of self-discipline. I would've put the water in by now if I was in your position lool.

You have a lot of self-discipline. I would've put the water in by now if I was in your position lool.

Thing is I’m still quite content running the 60p , I am really enjoying the look and it’s a proper breeze to maintain.

I’m looking forward to building the new cabinet as much as I am to flooding the new tank tbh. Is anyone interested in the making of it on here? I’ll document a bit better if so…

The timber has arrived for the cabinet!
18mm Douglas fir ply
I could have got it all out of one sheet but It would have been very close and no room for errors. So for the sake of my sanity I ordered two 8x4 sheets… I can make use of the spare wood.
FB94C3CB-E92F-4D99-B57F-AE9162168AD4.jpeg
3F8AEA02-305D-4CD2-B911-67B38999CF80.jpeg

Didn’t have much time this evening to I just ripped a couple of straight edges on the sheet to give me a starting point. For this I used a track saw and 3m rail.
D4D76884-5E18-40AB-8211-5CE7585C477B.jpeg

Nice clean cuts with this setup and the plywood seems to have a good solid core
F0BA9CEA-073E-4321-AFD8-04CF26E31C91.jpeg

Size wise:
W-900
D-450
H-800 (must be able to fit a 5kg fire extinguisher inside this one)

I’ll need to do some testers with finish aswell. I will be using Rubio monocote oil+2C for this build as I’ve used it on a seat/shoe rack in the porch and it’s really durable. Zero water marks from wet shoes, water beads up pretty well. On my current 60p cabinet I had used a water based clear varnish, worked well to start but it has developed some water staining where I haven’t cleaned up quick enough after a spill.

Will update more as I progress.

Last edited:
No updates on the cabinet as yet. This tank will be up and running one day 🤦‍♂️

A gift to myself to help push this project along!
812439AE-64FA-4D6D-AEC1-F17D74127282.jpeg

It’s a fakie, but does have a real iwaki pump.
Just need to devise a way of heating the tank. Inline heaters are a bit cumbersome for my liking.

Chop a hole in this shiny filter and jig a heater in there somehow…

Maybe a little heated jacket like they do for brewing beer…

Tbc

Last edited:
Filter looks cool. Will be interested to see how it performs for you mate. With regards to heating, Just choose a species of fish that don’t mind cooler temperatures.

Love it. I am sitting on a brand new 90p as well. :) And stuck at the same position as making a cabinet. The difference is you have fantastic hardscape and tank ready to go + have the skills to make a stand. I need to muster the courage to commit and make my own. Will be watching how yours goes and perhaps try to replicate your stand build. :)

...but does have a real iwaki pump.
Just need to devise a way of heating the tank. Inline heaters are a bit cumbersome for my liking.

Chop a hole in this shiny filter and jig a heater in there somehow…

Maybe a little heated jacket like they do for brewing beer…

Tbc

It would wreck the stainless steel aesthetic, but could be interesting to try a reptile heat mat.

I've also wondered about heating a tank with a IR heat lamp. Might be terribly inefficient, though. Equipment manufactures really ought to come up with some better aquarium heater technologies. Every option available is pretty disappointing.

It would wreck the stainless steel aesthetic, but could be interesting to try a reptile heat mat.
This could potentially crack the glass, as I see often when people use them below jungle vivariums (warm glass being cooled by water)
I’m also not sure it would heat the entire tank.

Back