• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL bottles?

Apologies for the thread necromancy but have just tried to set this up and no joy.

The bottle is a JBL m500 refillable. Supposedly brand new and had a green plastic seal over the external thread. Have screwed the lunapet reg on and no pressure.

Tried the cylinder valve on the "auf" (I assume on") position and the "zu" (I assume "off") position. Nada.

Tried taking reg off and screwing back on several times and not a hiss. Thing is there doesn't seem to be anything on the reg that would insert into the bottle to allow gas to be released. On my disposable kit there's a sort of needle like thing sticking out that goes into the bottle that presses down a valve to allow gas out. Do refillables not have this?

If so is the valve on the top of the bottle the only control on gas release? What if it gets moved accidentally? Thing is when I got the bottle home it was already in the "auf" position. Could it have been accidentally opened up and emptied in the shop? This doesn't seem very safe.

Any help much appreciated as I now have no co2 going into my main tank :(

Hi
You sure it has Co2 in the cylinder?
Take it out side open the valve up on the cylinder let some Co2 out to check.
Or weight the cylinder should weight about 1 kg i think.
Where did you purchase from?
They may have used the Co2 in the shop.
hoggie

Looking suspiciously like it does not. Just put it in some water and turned the valve - no bubbles. Weighed it too - 610g.

I won't say where I got it. Will have words with them later today.

Still I'm surprised that the valve on the top is the only release. Isn't there some sort of safety mechanism? There's a screw on the back of the bottle with 3 holes in the sides. Anyone know what that does?

on a burst disc??

Its basically a screw with a copper disc in, like a small thin penny. set to rupture at a certain pressure. So should the pressure in the bottle exceed that pressure the disc will rupture and safely vent the gas, rather than the bottle exploding :)

no wasnt saying that mate, just replying to what a burst disc is :)

are you sure the bottles that are not part of a kit come filled?

just a thaught as paintball tanks, scuba tanks etc all come empty

Yeah but these things are meant to get sold straight to the budding plant keeping aquarist right? Why would an LFS buy them if they then had to send them off to get refilled before selling them on. I know charterhouse sells them as prefilled so assume everyone gets them from JBL like that too but might be wrong.

If it helps, I recently bought a brand new JBL set (old style JBL Profi set) from eBay and got a full bottle with it.

OK, there's no other way to say this so I'll just say it. I'm an eejit. The bottle wasn't empty, I just wasn't turning the valve hard enough. It twists a bit quite easily then gets very stiff, at which point you have to twist it hard to open it up. This was demonstrated by the LFS I bought it from this morning after I went in complaining about "you lot selling me empty co2 bottles". Naturally you can imagine what an blahblahblahblah I looked. Apologies to those who have wasted their time on this thread and, of course, to LFS.

Much worse is that I have had to have a blackout in the tank yesterday. Didn't want lights on without co2. Came back early afternoon to find fish and shrimp at water surface and three dead red nosed shrimp on substrate. O2 shortage. Why? Well what's the major source of O2 in my tank? The plants. And what happens to photosynthesis when you turn the lights off?

Ran an airstone under Koralia and flooded the tank with air bubbles. Looks like I avoided any further casualties. Careful with blackouts when not taking precautions. CO2 now setup, hopefully I should have mildly fizzy tank when I get home tomorrow (new up atomiser but very low bubble count to start with). I'm just going to say it again blackboard punishment stylee to make it absolutely clear:

I am a fool
I am a fool
I am a fool

Back