JBL bubble counter(s?) and tube size?

Discussion in 'Hardware & DIY' started by nielsamd, 27 Apr 2008.

1. nielsamd

nielsamd Newly Registered

I purchased a JBL bubble counter off the shelf at a shop a while ago (not my LFS) and when setting up my newest tank, was surprised to find that it did not seem to fit standard airline sized 4/6mm CO2 tubing. So its basically useless for me.
    Looking at the AquaEssentials page for this item http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=196_308&products_id=629 (not where I purchased it... I found it on their site afterwards) it appears as if there is some non-standard tube size about "3-4.5mm".
    So basically my question is.... why? JBL sells 4/6mm tubing. What gives here? What other equipment is "3-4.5mm" equipped?

2. Arana

Arana Member

I have a couple of these and they seem to fit to standard CO2 tubing fine :?

3. nielsamd

Could be that the brand of CO2 tubing (German: Lunapets/eBay) I have simply isn't flexible enough to fit. I can really force them on but there's no way the JBL locking rings on the little outlet pegs can be used to any intended effect.

4. beeky

beeky Member

Have you tried dipping the CO2 tubing in hot water to make it more flexible?

5. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Yeh, put it in some boiling water, it'll soften up enough to fit on I'm sure.

Sam

6. nielsamd

Thanks. That'll probably work for the tube to peg connection. But the lock rings just aren't big enough as is. I will probably ignore them or ream/widen them. It just seems a bit strange that the size def. seems a bit small for standard tubing. I tried silicon airline tubing and it was just as hard to fit.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nielsamd/2452950982/

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Humm odd :?