Product Review JBL CristalProfi e1500 Review (Picture Heavy)

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by Superman, 12 Aug 2008.

1. Superman

Superman Member

I took delivery of my JBL CristalProfi e1500 external filter today, so couldn't wait until I set it up.
    It came from Aqua Essentials, but as this isn't really available in the UK, you need to order it specially from them.

Here's my view of the filter which has loads of photos to show you what it's like.

I chose this filter as it fitted within my Vision 180 stand, and this is a very tight squeeze and as you'll notice, I have to have it on it's side, do to the placement of the electrical cord.

The unit is very quiet for an external in my opinion, I'm sure once I put the cupboard door back it'll be better.

For me, I'm very happy with my choice of external.

So the box..

2008-08-12001.jpg
    2008-08-12002.jpg

Would say that out of the box, it looks very smart with it's grey/silver looking plastic. It's not that heavy.
    2008-08-12003.jpg

DVD box to show scale
    2008-08-12004.jpg

Thought that opening up the top, looked well cool. Up clip each corner like this...
    2008-08-12005.jpg

Has two good handles to lift the unit.
    2008-08-12014.jpg

The filer came packed with media.
    2008-08-12006.jpg
    2008-08-12007.jpg

Each basket had a handle for easy removal.
    2008-08-12008.jpg
    2008-08-12009.jpg
    2008-08-12010.jpg

Close up of the impeller, it was easy enough to get to, once a few clips underdone.
    2008-08-12011.jpg

The connectors fittings...
    2008-08-12015.jpg
    2008-08-12016.jpg

In the stand all hooked up....
    2008-08-12017.jpg
    2008-08-12018.jpg

Intake pipe...
    2008-08-12020.jpg

Outpipe to spray bar
    2008-08-12023.jpg

2. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

New light and new filter!! now watch those plants grow like never before ;)
    Looks great that filter, guess it was worth the wait after all, specially since it fits into the cabinet :)

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

That looks like a really nice bit of kit :) I'm liking the smoked silicone hose :)

4. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Looking good. Certainly looks like a great bit of kit that. If it performs as good as it looks then I might have to consider one of those for my next one. Well done for doing a write up Clark.

5. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Nice one :)

What are the specs of the thing? Flow, dimensions, tubing sizes, etc.

Cheers

Sam

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Can't find a great deal in the quick google search but here's a basic spec:

7. Superman

Superman Member

I forgot to add the filter stats, thanks Steve

Not sure if the button is and easy start, it's more like a plunger you need to press to get the flow started.

All was ok this morning and it's not scilent, but a slight hum is fine with me.

It cost me about £125 IIRC

8. Spider Pig

Spider Pig Member

Damn, I wish I'd seen this before, mainly because it can fit into a vision 180 cupboard. I've just about squeezed my ex1200 into the central space but it is touching the sides and so there is a bit louder. Saying that it is still reasonably quiet.

One of the main factors though is the price- the ex1200 was 70 quid so this does cost a bit more.

9. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

smart filter, very cool opening clips aswell 8)

Hot Fuzz - what a film :lol:

10. Wolfenrook

Wolfenrook Member

I've been plugging the JBL externals for a while, glad somebody else has discovered how nice they are. ;) Just wait until you have a reason to contact their customer services (not that you will probably. lol), they are the best I have ever dealt with.

Ade

11. Superman

Superman Member

Hope I don't have any problems!

Any tips on how far under the water the spray bar should go?

12. zig

zig Member

Looks nice, didn't do a flow test before you fitted it to the tank by any chance did you?

13. Superman

Superman Member

Oh bummer, in the excitement of getting it, I just set it up and started it going in the tank.

Sorry, maybe at the next water change I'll do one.

14. zig

zig Member

No worries, just wondering how different filters compare to the advertised spec.

15. Ray

Ray Member

Thanks for a nice review. The size is very attractive - would fit into my cupboard easier than a 1200 EX and you get 300LPH more to boot. How noisy would you say it is? Have you had opportunity to compare with an Ehiem or Tetratec?
    Thank you,
    Ray

16. Superman

Superman Member

I've never heard an Eheim or any other filter to be honest so don't have any reference point.
    I wouldn't say it's quiet but not loud either, it's not a huuummmm/buzzing noise more like a whirling noise.
    Not sure how loud I'd say it is, but for me it's fab.

17. ian_m

ian_m Global Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to resurect an old post, but did anyone ever ascertain if the e1500 would fit in a Jewel Vision 180 cabinet with the door attached.

And if so can the e1500 be removed for cleaning without having to resort to removing the door (and hinges) ?

This pictures show it in the Vision 180 cabinet (along with CO2 diffuser) but door not fitted, this would not pass the WAF (wife acceptance factor) in my lounge.

I am eyeing up the e1500 to convert my Vision 180 to more "planty" rather than "fishy".

18. mlgt

mlgt Member

I had a e1500 in my 180 and it was fine. You might have to negotiate the tube and cables depending where your power socket is but I had no problem with the door. For removals I simply unplugged and took to the sink.
    I also ran co2.

19. ian_m

ian_m Global Moderator Staff Member

Thankyou for the quick reply, didn't want to get a e1500 home and have to perform major cabinet surgery just to get the filter in and out.

Did you made use of the rear cut outs in top back of the Vision 180 tank, to get the 22mm inflow and outflow pipes into the tank ?

I might have to get both pipes via left hand side as I still have the original Jewel in tank filter fitted (but with upgraded powerhead) which would get in the way of using the right hand cut out ?

20. mlgt

mlgt Member

Yes I used the rear cut outs and it fit fine. Just cut the tubes to shape to avoid excess. However dont cut them that short in case you need to upgrade tanks like I did. Luckily the tubes are universal size so I replaced them with eheim tubes to match the Rena drop.