• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL CristalProfi i60, 80, 100, 200 - a novel design?

John P Coates

Hi Folks,

I use a JBL CristalProfi i100 filter in my 125l tank. This is a very discrete internal design. This model has three baskets filled with the media of the user's choice. So, you could put mechanical filtration in one basket, biological filtration in another and chemical filtration in another. As far as I can work out, unlike many/most filters, the inlet water is not channelled sequentially through each basket before being expelled back into the water column. Instead, the inlet water can enter each of the baskets simultaneously.

It seems to me that there is an advantage and a disadvantage to this approach:

Advantage: it helps to maintain a more constant flow rate over time as there is no pre-filter to get blocked.

Disadvantage: some particles inevitably are deposited on the biological filter but I have not found this to be a problem. The ammonia and nitrite levels are well controlled. I constantly keep an eye on free ammonia (NH3) using a seneye monitor. The NH3 is typically 0.005ppm, which is as close to zero as makes no difference.

So, on balance, in my tank, I quite like this approach because the high, near constant flow rate helps to keep the CO2 well distributed throughout the water.

Just thought that this may be of interest to a few people.

JPC

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am considering the JBL i100, for a 50l cube. Now that you have had it for over a year, are you still pleased? What media do you use in it (bottom to top order?) Is your tank low tech, without CO2, and low intensity lighting?

Hi TalllDragon

Firstly, I need to explain that I had to re-register on UKAPS so I am John P Coates with a new user name - jaypeecee! I have been using the JBL i100 for nine months and I am still very pleased with it. I have sponge filters in the top and bottom baskets with Fluval biological filtration media in the middle basket. My tank is high tech with pressurised CO2 and high PAR lighting.

Hi TalllDragon
Firstly, I need to explain that I had to re-register on UKAPS so I am John P Coates with a new user name - jaypeecee! I have been using the JBL i100 for nine months and I am still very pleased with it. I have sponge filters in the top and bottom baskets with Fluval biological filtration media in the middle basket. My tank is high tech with pressurised CO2 and high PAR lighting.

Hi John,
In the end, I had the opportunity to buy a used kit. So got an external canister with a cabinet in the end. And started a journal (see link below) a week ago. You are welcome to visit, and check it out.
Cheers TD.

Back