• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL E701 with Mini M

pepedopolous

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a Mini M-size (36*22*26) aquarium to have at my work.

I already have a spare filter, a JBL e701GL rated at 700lph compared to the Mini-M volume which is about 21 litres.

Do you think this too much? By my calculations the flow rate is 33* the tank volume!

I know there is a flow-limiting switch and I could pack it with loads of media too I suppose...
So I guess the real flow rate would be about maybe 300lph or 14*volume

Cheers,

P

Hi P

I got a 24ish liters cube tank running now with a JBL e401 (which is BTW a superb filter. It is my first time with JBL and I must admit that they are just perfect: low energy consumption, powerful, well designed and silent). At the beginning I thought it was going to be overkill... but it is just about right. I have very short piping (low cabinet), with all the filter media and I have not restricted the flow... hope it helps. I would not use this one for a tank over 40 liters.

Jordi

Hi Pepedopolous,

I've got the JBL CP e701 which is rated at 700 l/h, but in the manual (p23) it says with the media supplied and 1.5m hose length, in new or clean condition, the flow rate drops to 350-400 l/h.
The switch is so easy to adjust that if I had it on 1/2 flow I'd want a way to hold it in place - maybe a blob of blu-tack either side of it.
cheers phil

Thanks guys.

The Superjet ES600 is rated at 5.5 litres per minute which is actually only 330 lph. The Fluval 205 is rated at 680 lph so I'm none the wiser. Maybe ADA understate and Fluval overstate?

I've used my e701 on 60 litre cube (admittedly with little media) and it created a lot of flow. So, I think it might just be too much for a Mini M and so I'll have to stump up for the JBL e401.

P

Does not the JBLe701 have inlet/outlet valves ? The instructions section 6 is "Regulating the water flow". Basically close output valve slightly to reduce flow.

Yeah, but I think to reduce flow using the valve is not ideal in the long term.

P
I didn't have any issues reducing flow with the outflow valve of the filter untill the plants had rooted well and I could turn it up, IMO I would use this method and spend the funds for the new filter on plants, hardscape, co2 canister etc etc.

Back