• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL or Dennerle co2 system

I want to start injecting co2 into a 100 litre tank that contains mainly low tech plants,Crypts,Anubia and Amazon sword.

I don't like the idea of having a big red fire extinguisher on show, I'd rather go down the route of ready to go systems such as JBL or Dennerle with the disposable cylinders.
I'm aware that it's not the cheapest option but it still wouldn't cost the earth at 1bps and my plants would appreciate even this low amount of co2.

So if any of you guys could recommend any of these systems for a small low tech tank I would be very grateful for your advice.

Thank in advance

Is a SodaStream bottle out of the question? I use one on a nano tank and it is cheaper than the branded systems, plus you can take the empties back to argos or the range etc and get a new canister half price.

Hi Nick,thanks for replying,well sodastream isn't completely out of the question but the fact that you can't have the refills delivered creates a problem for me because I'm quite badly disabled and travelling would be problematic for me.
I would be interested in listening to advice regarding systems using sodastream bottles in case my circumstances change in the future.

I don't like the idea of having a big red fire extinguisher on show,
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but neither the the JBL nor the Dennerle options are particularly attractive either.
And if you get the doping bug, as many do, you'll find yourself investing in a fire extinguisher kit and caboodle anyway.

Have you given any thought to a silver chrome fire extinguisher, there are always a few on eBay. You should be able to find somewhere local to refill it.

1610903810446.png

Or failing that you could go old school, and invest a relatively small amount of £12.99 on a Tropica CO2 system 60. The refills are readily available from Aquarium Gardens or in Pets at Home stores, and elsewhere online etc and cost around £20.00 for 3 bottles.

1610903994321.png

Hi Nick,thanks for replying,well sodastream isn't completely out of the question but the fact that you can't have the refills delivered creates a problem for me because I'm quite badly disabled and travelling would be problematic for me.
I would be interested in listening to advice regarding systems using sodastream bottles in case my circumstances change in the future.
Sodastream do deliver but I don't know how cost compares with getting refills locally...other outlets might also deliver too.

No problem.

In that case i don't think the sodastream would be any more economical, the sodastream bottle holds 425g of gas and both the jbl and dennerle use 500g canisters ( I am guessing you are talking about these kits?) Dennerle CO2 Kit 300 quantum System for Planted Aquarium Disposable, JBL ProFlora u501 + - CO2 System for Planted Aquarium

Both will do the job, I would advise getting the more expensive of either version that comes with a solenoid to turn the gas off at night.
I thought that too,thanks Nick.

The dennerle bottles just look like you are paying over the odds for one of these:

I use these on my nano, get them home delivered.
I'll look into that,thank you.

Thanks for all your replies guy's, you've certainly given me food for thought, I'm very grateful to you all.

Sodastream do deliver but I don't know how cost compares with getting refills locally...other outlets might also deliver too.

The sodastream bottles aren't actually all that economical, looks like the price has gone up on the refills, it's now £14.99 for 425gr refill, and the dennerle or jbl are £19.99 for 500gr and you can get the welding bottles for £14 for 600gr

A proper 3kg or 1.5kg in your cabinet?

Consumable Solutions - Medway, Kent​

NEED TO CALL FIRST
Gillingham
Medway
ME7 2HY

Tel: 01634 578370 / 07786564487

2 miles from your location

Expect to pay about £60 deposit and the £30ish for 3kg of gas.

Bargain!

ps. You are gonna be using a lot more than 1bps of a 100L tank!

A proper 3kg or 1.5kg in your cabinet?

Consumable Solutions - Medway, Kent​

NEED TO CALL FIRST
Gillingham
Medway
ME7 2HY

Tel: 01634 578370 / 07786564487

2 miles from your location

Expect to pay about £60 deposit and the £30ish for 3kg of gas, Bargain!
I'll look into that,thanks for the information.

This type of bottle (or FE) will fit a standard DIN 477 regulator. You won’t be tied into one bottle manufacturer. Expensive and may become hard to get in today’s times.

Or failing that you could go old school, and invest a relatively small amount of £12.99 on a Tropica CO2 system 60.

Hi Folks,

I have a Tropica System 60 but I wouldn't recommend it. Diffusion of CO2 into the tank water is very slow in my experience - even when there is plenty of water flow across the bottom of the unit from which the CO2 diffuses. I used one in a 5 litre tank (yes, 5 litres) but gave up on it.

JPC

Yes not great on large tank or if flow is super low.

My friend does well on a nano tank. Took it off and quickly put it back on. Grows a carpet quite well. Far better than with no CO2.

check out ridge.scapes on Instagram. He’s posting a bit more recently. Also has a really nice 80cm scape changed to full Co2 on that last year with Twinstar S.

Last edited:
Back