• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL or TetraTec

Which filter is the best/ quietest?

• Total voters
You won't regret buying the two 1501's. The flow will be perfect especially for a planted tank.

Buy direct I think it's Zooplus Germany to save yourself a significant slice of dough.

6.90 euro but looks like if you spend more than 99 euro its free

Ian m, would that not put strain on the motor and perhaps shorten its working life?
Instructions say don't reduce flow by more than 1/2 or else will get noisy and reduce impellor life.

Quite handy though as when I set my tank up I carefully planted some carpeting plants and promptly washed them away when I turned the pump on. However combination of reduced flow and some pebble "wind shields" I got the plants rooted in a week or two, before I turned it on full power.

I got my JBL e1501 from zooplus.co.uk for £149. Seen in in shops for slightly cheaper £145.

Some people got theirs from zooplus.de even cheaper, as sometime offer quite a discount for new customers. Comes with German mains plug of course.

Comes with German mains plug of course.

Stupidly I hadn't considered that. I am reluctant to get the two 1501s as they are overkill and £100 pounds more expensive than two 901s. My only concern is that the 901s won't have the force to reach right around the tank, would I just need fewer/smaller holes on the spray bar?

I bought an eheim from zooplus. De and they threw in an adapter for the plug.

Well I would "do it right and do it once...".

Get two e1501's, yes costs a lot more, your can always turn the flow down if too much, and as the filter "ages" and gets dirty the flow will reduce anyway. No need to fiddle with spray bar holes, one 1501 per 1/2 of tank, job done.

The e1501 manual states the 1400litres/hour is the pump, when filter is filled with clean media as supplied will be 800-900litres/hour obviously dropping as media gets dirty.

or

Get two 900's and a power head to get increased circulation ?

It has zig zag long shaped sponge either side in the top like a pre filter, so catches most of the gunk, I also 'punched' out the inner circles of sponges in the rest of the trays leaving the outer rings in, and have a very thin layer of ceramic rings in the base, with one rectangle sponge at the top, I don't notice any reduced flow between cleans

Hmm sounds like I should get the 1501s if my budget can cope, I'll add up all the costs for the new tank and see what it comes to. Thanks for all the great advice guys, really appreciate it.

You might be lucky and find a couple of the older model 1500 units at sale prices, I believe the only difference is the motor consumption is higher.

I have two e1501 filters running on my 260 litre tank, spray bars from each filter at rear cover the full length of my tank, they're quiet, they do their job well and in over a year's continuous operation haven't caused me any issues, highly recommend them :)

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Here you go, like this;)

ezu2u9at.jpg

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

I've only used the JBL spraybar and hoses and I find them flimsy and awful. The spraybar has tiny holes, hence why it spits water so far away looking like the flow is great but its because it reduces the flow too much. I have it connected on an Eheim filter and the filter started whistling as the holes restrict the flow too much so I had to drill bigger holes. The spray bar eventually developed a crack and my filter is just 1000l/h, spraybar comes from the 1501 model.
The hoses are super soft and develop kinks. From what I've heard from people I know, the flow of the JBL's tends to reduce significantly between cleanings.

That's my input. I won't bother trying their filters. If you are looking at places to buy them though, cheapest is zooplus.de and aquaristic.net is my favourite because it has better choice for other stuff. The JBL 1501e is around 155 Euro from both shops.

Back