• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL ProFlora Bio160 Yeast CO2 - no bubbles

Hi all, I know these systems are much inferior to pressurised CO2, but I'm currently not in a position to get a pressurised CO2 system going so I figured this setup is better than nothing at all.

I bought a ProFlora Bio160 setup which is basically DIY yeast with a fancy bottle. I assembled per instructions (checked water was at 23*C when filling too) and all I got to begin with was a few weird large bubbles which collected in the top of the diffuser, followed by nothing after several days.

I was wondering if the diffuser or check valve were faulty so I replaced both (ie, the only original components now are the bottle and tubing) and also replaced the yeast/food mixture completely, but after 72 hours I'm still not getting anything. The new check valve is a bubble counter so whatever the problem is I can definitely rule out the tubing on the diffuser side, as there are no bubbles passing through it at all. This pretty much leaves the yeast itself, the bottle and the tubing connecting the bottle to the check valve as possible suspects.

The connections at both ends feel really firm, I can give them a good tug and nothing moves at all. The lid is screwed on nice and tight. There is froth in the bottle. I'm not really sure what the problem is here, any ideas? Photos of the setup taken as of now (ie 72 hours post-fill) are below:

1615311535997.png
1615311548178.png

First update, turns out I'm a moron, didn't realise you had to fill the bubble counter with water :rolleyes: I've filled it and I am getting bubbles now, maybe like 1 per 20-30 seconds. Nothing coming from the diffuser yet though

Last edited:
First update, turns out I'm a moron, didn't realise you had to fill the bubble counter with water :rolleyes: I've filled it and I am getting bubbles now, maybe like 1 per 20-30 seconds. Nothing coming from the diffuser yet though
Will take a while to build pressure. Keep the yeast warm to help production. I saw on YouTube there are heaters to go under the bottle.

Will take a while to build pressure. Keep the yeast warm to help production. I saw on YouTube there are heaters to go under the bottle.

Started getting small bubbles through the diffuser now :) hopefully that's all it was. Not sure why it wasn't working before changing the non-return valve/diffuser, as the original valve wasn't a bubble counter. Very odd.

Back