Jersey - Rock formation pics

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Tony Swinney, 27 Apr 2009.

1. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Hi

I've just had a great little break on Jersey, and shot a few snaps of some of the fantastic scenery around the coast - thought you guys might appreciate the rock formations, beaches and rockpools :D

Theres another 30 or so pics like these here too:

http://www.mustardpost.com/UKAPS_Landscapes/

ukaps_1.jpg

ukaps_2.jpg

ukaps_3.jpg

ukaps_4.jpg

ukaps_5.jpg

2. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

Really impressive Tony, no wonder you tried to smuggle some home :lol:

3. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Nice photos, can't blame you for trying to bring some back hehe :) is it possible to go there by ferry on a car?? :lol: :rolleyes:

4. milla

milla Member

Yes, but customs are keen. Once spent 2 hours on dockside whilst they emptied vehicle, every bag, case, box onto hte tarmac whilst checking for contraband.

5. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

lol. I remember going on a student weekend to Amsterdam (many moons ago ;) ) and the coach being searched en masse.

I can just picture the same thing with a UKAPS trip to jersey except the contraband is moss and stones :lol: :lol:

EDIT - fantastic pics. I'll check out the rest of the gallery in a quiet minute soon... :)

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

:lol:
    nice pics Tony

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Great pics tony :) like the 2nd and last two particularly.

8. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Re: Jersey - Rock formation pics (more added)

haha ! I think I just about got enough through for my nano :lol:

I've been editing the pics today (shot over 1200 through the week :wideyed: ) and working on the ones I might use, so here's a few more water based ones (to keep on the Ukaps theme vaguely !).

Tony

ukaps_6.jpg

ukaps_7.jpg

ukaps_8.jpg

ukaps_9.jpg

9. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

and a few more from a sea water swimming pool....

ukaps_10.jpg

ukaps_11.jpg

ukaps_12.jpg

ukaps_13.jpg

10. JamesM

JamesM Member

Excellent pics, Tony :)

11. Graeme Edwards

Graeme Edwards Founder Staff Member

Love the work Tony, really nice abstract style of nature, all of which I love.

What kind of process are you going through 1,taking the picture and 2,post picture processing? Im aware of your background, which says a lot about how good your photography.

Where about did you stay? Jursy is a hell of a distance from the north west, but for a week its doable. I looks like the med, its great. Inspirational.

Cheers.

12. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Thanks Graeme. I'd really recommend Jersey, though it was made all the better for having great weather all week ! Its only a 50 min flight from Gatwick, and there are definitely flights from Manchester too. Being only 13 miles x 5 miles you can get around it dead easy - I'd love to go back with the mountain bike for a few days, as there are great cliff paths and cycle routes too. Due to the occupation of the island by the Nazis in WWII there are lots of bunkers, tunnels, lookouts and gun emplacements all over the place too, some of which you can go into.

As for the photography, I use a D3X and shoot handheld until I see something really nice when I'll use the tripod and shoot 5 stop brackets so i can HDR it if needed. I shoot Raw & jpeg simultaneously so I can quickly go through the jpegs and play with colours / contrast / grading at lo-res on the laptop to make the initial edit.

Once I'm back to base I edit a bit further then process the chosen Raw files in 16 bit at 100% in Adobe Raw, then upsize to 124% in PS. This gives me a nice big file which I can use for pretty much anything. It really depends on the image content as to how much I use the 16 bit files, or HDR. At the end of the process they have to go to 8 bit for print anyway.

Hope that helps

Tony