• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jewel Filters

Bradas

Seedling
Hi there, currently I have a jewel rekord 70 and rio 300. I love the make and the set ups I'm running.
However, the filter mediums are sooooooooo expensive. So I'm wondering, what can I do to cut the cost while still maintaining good water quality?

This applies more to the rio 300, which is been re-scaped as a planted biotope aquarium.

One thing I have considered is using jewel/other filter wool at the bottom and top, while inbetween having lava rocks (I'm guessing that since thier pourus they'l perform the same action as the filters), and activated carbon...and alot of plants.
Does anyone know if this will work?

:crazy:

once you have some sponge, you wont need to buy any more for a long time, its the floss that you will have to get, i just buy a big box of filter floss(not jewel brand) from the range.

So the two blue sponges, green sponge and carbon sponge only need to be changed once every 6ish months?

I'm guessing that heavy planting helps by taking up ammonia and other unwanted stuff.

Note-I'm a biotope guy, so plants wern't usually on the list. =P

Thanks

Bradas said:
So the two blue sponges, green sponge and carbon sponge only need to be changed once every 6ish months?

I'm guessing that heavy planting helps by taking up ammonia and other unwanted stuff.

Note-I'm a biotope guy, so plants wern't usually on the list. =P

Thanks

think of the green sponge as another blue one, as it doesnt work imo.. so 3 blue sponges, need to be replaced when they have totally lost their shape, probably longer than a year.

The carbon sponge is optional, it takes some chemicals out of the water, but i only use it when i have some, and the other time, fill the gap with filter floss..

then you replace filter floss weekly, and squeeze out the blue sponges(into old tank water) every 2 weeks.

note: you can purchase carbon in a cheaper form, in small bags, just look for "activated carbon" online through Aqua essentials, or charterhouse aquatics and a tub should come up, then if you want, use an old pair of tights and wang it in the tank.

Haven't touched my Juwel filter in a year. Haven't lost a fish in that time either.

I have put sintered glass media in the bottom half of my Jewel filter as I think it's a much better biological media than sponge and that never needs replacing. I just have a coarse and then fine blue sponge block above it and only put a fine layer in if there are fine particles for any reason; say after a rescape.

Back