• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jimbooo's 450L / 100G high tech journal

'Feathery plant' looks like Myriophyllum sp.

Looking good, James. I may have some plants for you at Sam's BBQ. Looks like it needs them... :)

BTW Arcadia have been in touch. They're going to be making T5 tubes in Juwel sizes. I can highly recommend their Plant Pro T5. Super rendition and growth.

thanks george i may well take you up on the plant offer. i should be ordering plants this week as long as the FE's turn up. but i'm sure i could squeeze a few more in if you have anything special.

as to tubes thats what i just bought, 2 arcadia T5HO plant pro 54W. they are a bit purple for me but blend in well when the juwels are on at the same time.

i also bought a small azoo hospital tank yesterday. damn it where do you stop lol. i'm now off to buy some shrimp to put in it as i cant bear an empty tank lol. i'll get them settled then transfer to the main one later. i figured i needed one as if i get close to full stock of 130 cardinals and get a dodgy batch to add in at the end i am risking the whole stock through cross infection. i will be quarenteening properly from now on, something i've never bothered with before but it has caused a few problems in the past.

Any updates on this jimboo? I am keen to know as my tank is of a similar size and i also opted for eco-complete. I made the mistake of only ordering 4 bags though....i am a bit light on substrate but i will fill it out a bit as i go on.

Like the sink/powerhead solution - i have a similar solution using an outdoor water butt with large guage tubing and a pond pump! I have RO plumbed into the water butt and use the waste water tubing to reconstitute with dechlorinated tap water! I hope carbon removes chlorine/choloramine - i read that it does?

Hi Steve, i cant really comment on the EC yet as the tank is only lightly planted, co2 has been non existent and i am not dosing ferts yet. other than that it looks great and i have high hopes for it. i should have plants pretty soon so watch this space. As to your carbon question i am not 100% sure so i'll leave that for someone else to answer. at a guess i'd say it should remove chlorine but not necessarily chloramine.

I have been playing around with diffuser and spray bar placement and i think i have found my optimum positioning. i have mounted the diffuser at the front left, spray bar vertically in rear corner pointing straight forward at the co2 bubble flow.

IMAG0001-1.jpg

IMAG0002-2.jpg

I have also removed the add on tube which goes on the outlet of the juwel filter to create a gentle whirlpool effect in the tank. finally i have co2 mist in all corners of the tank and from substrate to surface. the pics cant show this well enough but it really is everywhere.
i cant wait to get the plants now...

Looks good - thats pretty much exactly where my diffuser is with a spray bar on the side of the tank above it pointed slightly downward and at the side of the tank. Hopefully this creates a rotational current from bottom of tank to top.

Like the Nympaea - hoping to grow my own out from Greenline. Mine came just as a set of leaves with a very small sort of loose root system. I was expecting a proper bulb or large rhizome? Do they grow ok from leaves?

thats exactly how mine came. the one in this tank is 3 years old and originated from the batch i got from greenline. i started with 3 plants and have had at least 15 from it over the years. they throw off new plantlets every now and then and soon fill the tank.

finally i've got some plants in the tank. forgive the lack of names, they dont label anything in my LFS but luckily they had quite a selection today. i also bought 9 otto's and 6 zebra danio's (moving home later on)

i had a touch of whitespot which unfortunately wiped out my existing cardinals so i'm now thinking of other options for stocking. i definitely want one big shoal i just cant decide what of. after seeing 6 danio's zipping around there i'm tempted to stock something a little more lively. i may even go for 8 angels hmm decisions decisions. anyway sorry for all the pictures i got carried away.

IMAG0004-1.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0016-1.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0014-1.jpg

IMAG0022-1.jpg

IMAG0005-2.jpg

IMAG0017-1.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0029-2.jpg

IMAG0013-1.jpg

IMAG0025-1.jpg

IMAG0027-2.jpg

Looking good James!

Why don't you go for a huge shoal of Danios if you're after something lively? A big group of zebras could look amazing!

Or if you're after something a bit more unusual you could go for one of the rarer new species of danio instead?

Nice start, Jimbooo....

Wouldn't happen to know the name of the stem (7th pic down) would you?

thanks guys. As to the stem plant i'm afraid i do not know the name..anyone else like to step in here..

ahh that explains it lol. i couldn't find anything on the net that looked the same. how does it adapt then as it's just one stem. i'd guess it'll branch off with the new growth being the submerged form then just cut off the branches and replant, is that along the right lines? if not please advise. Thanks for the ID options.

eds said:
I was thinking it was emersed Myriophyllum sp. Hard to tell for sure.

Could be that too. I have some brand new Myrio from Tropica that does look similar. It's only just adapted to submerged, after 3 weeks. Real slow grower, even with 3.6wpg HO T5, and ultra-fine structure. Nice though, but awesome mech filtration needed to stop it clogging with debris. I have a claimed turnover of 2750lph for 200 l. so it should be ok...

I've always found Myriophyllums to grow like weeds. What rare, tricky species have you got there then????

sorry beeky you've lost me there...

ahh yes sorry. no unfortunatly i put my 6 sterbai's in there just before the whitespot outbreak. the cory's got a secondary bacterial / fungal infection and i lost 4. i'd had them for about 3 years so not too pleased with myself about that. the 2 left were uneffected by any of it and seem fine now a week or two on.

Back