• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jobs, where's best to find them

Garuf

Hello, as per topic really, I'm looking for a summer job but in these hard times I'm finding it increasingly hard to find anywhere. I will literally do just about anything for wages, does anyone have any bright ideas on where to look, who to ask, ways of improving my chances?

It's getting increasingly frustrating, even McDonalds aren't taking on!

Most of the summer jobs around me had gone by Easter so I'm in the same position as you - no where to work! My friends who were successful in getting jobs just went everywhere with their CVs and handed them in, even if there weren't any vacancies advertised at the time.

Yeah I did the same, I'd handed out over a 100 last count. I did work in Office but after the sales they didn't keep a single member of staff on who started same time as me.

When I was looking for a summer job just about all of them had gone by this time of year.

I went around literally every local shop handing out CV's and applying online etc, even went to job centres but had nothing - this was right in the middle of the credit crunch though.

The best way from my experience is word of mouth, that's how I got my current job. One of my mum's friends daughters worked in a hotel and told her about it - that's now where I work and it was so easy to get a job there. It's right out in the middle of nowhere but it's a great job, look in places you wouldn't think of looking and ask around. :)

Oh man I know all about it, I've been searching since March! I'll just have to keep an ear out I suppose.

Stupid question but have you gone into your local recruitment agency?

There's usually work available such as food packing in supermarket warehouses etc. It's relatively menial but the pay is usually ok considering the level of responsibility and stress, and when you register your details with the agency they'll let you know when potentially better jobs that suit you come along.

A quick Internet search came up with this -

http://www.jobseekers.btik.com/attachme ... uction.pdf

This may sound lame but i dunno how desperate you are for money lol

Get some leaflets handed out or just knocked on doors offering to cut peoples lawns, paint sheds and fences . Im sure youd get a decent bit over the summer, when i was out of work and lived at my mums i did the same, and yourll find that yeah cutting on garden isnt much money but you will be cutting one persons garden the neighbor will see and ask you to do theres, and then sometimes even there neighbor same with the fence painting :D i know it sounds childish but im being honest when i say i was doing this 2 summers ago at 19.

alternatively get a sign made up

WILL AQUASCAPE FOR MONEY

:lol: :angelic:

sorry man, good luck

ryan

Thanks everyone, George, I'm with an agency but they made me sign a contract not to sign with any others, I don't know if that's standard practice?

Nayr88, I've thought about that you know, It wouldn't take me long to knock some leaflets up, I'd gladly aquascape for pennies, that'd be a nice job.

Thanks, Paul, I'll check it now! :)

Yeah, they wanted someone "who commanded more authority" ie. older. I've not, will check it out.

i think it is standard practise but, how would they know :shifty:

turn your new tank into a farm and grow hairgrass, sell me the rocks and wood, and in a month or so a full lawn :D

is there a 'manpower' local to you, i worked for one there okay plenty of work. They contact you with an address and time to be there, then a lorry turns up could have mattresses inside could have computer chairs inside lol reall exciting stuff, you then take them to witch floor they want them and then go home, most of the time yourll be there for 8hours but can stretch it out if you wished too.

ryan

Hmmm, I don't think I have, I'll check it out. Anything like that is perfect though. The name does sound a bit dodge though!

lol i was going to say they could be called a helping hand.......however i feel this is slightly worse :lol:

cold calling works for me shows enthusiasm and a willingness to work, we just dont advertise vacancies anymore cost a fortune, not allowed to ask for what type of person you even need? and just end up with time wasters. Most of my freinds who have firms are of the same opinion.

Isn't cold calling where you call then put the phone down so they have to ring you back? :S

A long shot, but you might try places where there are wild fluctuations in demand for labour, and only a small resident population to service that demand - the Lake District springs to mind. If you know anyone here whose floor you can sleep on (sorry, I can't oblige), and can make beds, clean toilets, and still smile at customers, you might get a job up here.

I was never out of work when i was a student (though it wasn't credit crunch times) around Leeds. Forget about that recruitment agency - there are plenty more, and if they're not offering you work you've not lost anything anyway. When you go to sign up with them, make a bit of an effort (put a suit or at least a smart shirt on, wash etc. :)) and be really clear that you'll do anything! My experience with agencies (although like i say it was 10 years ago, but my sister found the same 5 years before me) is that they get so many of the great unwashed who turn up dragging their knuckles and don't really have a work ethic is that if you make a bit of an effort and say yes to whatever they offer you they'll give you loads of work. The work isn't amazing, but neither is it cerebrally taxing and it was enough to keep my debts down.
If you can get ANY experience in pubs/clubs bars (even if you don't get paid) and then get a reference it makes it more likely you'll get a paid job. Loads of people apply for bar jobs but few have any experience.
Get your CV looking bang on (i'd never lie on a CV, but you can certainyl embellish it!), get references from as many people as you can (inc. Uni tutors etc) and be prepared to travel to wherever they want you and hopefully you'll fall lucky.
Best of luck - hope this helps
Matt

Back