• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Joes first attempt (Rio 180)

Joecoral

Well, as I'm gathering and ordering all the bits and pieces ready to start my first hi(ish)-tech planted setup, I thought it a good enough time to start a journal documenting my progress
This is my first dedicated planted tank and is very much a learning process for me as I have never had much luck with plants before

- Details
Tank: Juwel Rio 180 + stand (beech), 40 USgal
Heater: Hydor ETH 300 external heater
Lighting: 2 x 45W linear T5, giving total 90W (~2.2WPG), Arcadia T5 reflectors
Filtration: Eheim Pro II 2026
Substrate: Tropica plant substrate covered with approx 2" (25kg) of 2-3mm black gravel
CO2: Pressurised FE system w/ aquaticmagic regulator + solenoid, JBJ bubble counter, rhinox 2000 diffuser
Ferts: Either EI or TPN+, I'm leaning towards EI though...
Hardscape: Redmoor root
Flora: M. pteropus "narrow" on wood, E. tenellus carpet, Moss sp., cryptocoryne sp., others to be decided. . .
Fauna: Otocinclus sp., cherry shrimp, rummynose tetra, corydoras sp., apistogramma (pair, sp. undecided)

This is how the tank looked before I stripped it ready for the new aquascape. As you can see I'm no George Farmer yet :rolleyes: :
tank1.jpg

Picture of my blank canvas along with a few bits and bobs I'm slowly assembling. You can see the piece of redmoor root I intend to use as my hardscape:
IMG_2060.jpg

I will update more as more bits and pieces get delivered and I make more progress
Thanks for now
JC :D

still need to ge a few more bits and pieces before I can actually get planted and filled
need to generate a bit more dosh first tho :(
will keep you all posted

judging by your first picture, your next scape should be good. everything looked clean greeen and healthy.
definitely keep us up to speed.

mark

thanks mark (saintly). the greeness may be to do with the fact the plants had only been in there a few days, lol
the vallis did well, bursting up everywhere. everything else survived, but didnt really flourish or grow much, which i assume is attributed to the lack of CO2 and water column fertilization, but then it wasnt really a dedicated plant tank

I'm hoping the newest incarnation will flourish better

Thanks Themuleous, it took me aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to find a piece that matched the image I had in my head! :(
I think I have planned out in my head what plants I want and where to put them. Not gonna be too ambitious to begin with seeing as its a first attempt

Well I've mocked up a very basic photoshop of how I plan to 'scape this tank, your inputs would be appreciated

scape.jpg

Flame moss attached to the branches of the redmoor, with some jave fern "narrow" attached to the 'stump' of the redmoor
Some midground plants, possibly some sort of crypt around the base of the wood, and an E. tennellus carpet covering most of the rest of the substrate.
I'm not if the right hand side seems a bit bare however, do you think it would benefit from more planting on that side, if so what and how?
All comments and suggestions appreciated
JC :)

Looks like it'll be a stunner mate, is the wood gonna be your only hardscape coz i was thinking that you could put some small rocks around the base of the wood with some Anubias sp. in the nooks and cranny's :?

I hadnt planned on using stems but looking at the picture, i'm considering maybe having a group of stems in the back right which taper down to the back left
I had also planned on only using the wood as hardscape, but the idea of some mini landscape rock with anubias in the gaps does sound appealing. More money that I don't have then :(
I'm trying not to overcomplicate things as its a first attempt, what do others think?

LondonDragon said:
So far so good, why use Flame moss? any particular reason, I think some Xmas or Spiky would look much better ;)

moss sp. isnt set in stone, flame is just a suggestion, im still open to suggestions :p
althought I do like this sort of effect, which is flame moss
Flame-Moss-01.jpg

Small update:
Have now received my 2kg FE, reg + solenoid from aquatic magic and hydor ETH300, as well as a few other bits and bobs.
Will be placing a large order with AE soon for my drop checker, diffusor, dry ferts etc, then it's just a case of deciding upon and buying the plants once I have assembled all my hardware
JC

Any news in the last six weeks? An update would be greatly appreciated!

Was looking good, I'm still sitting on the edge of this damned chair.

Kind regards

Simon

Unfortunately not really. I have finally managed to get some gravel now, after taking 6 weeks to get my money back from the mail order people I bought some from MA in Cardiff in the end.
All I need now is to buy the plants, but as I am having trouble finding work currently, it may be a while before I can afford to do so.
I will keep you all posted as soon as there are any more updates though.
Joe

Finally got around to placing an order for some plants today, after seeing the quality of stuff saintly used in his new set-up, i've decided to give Aquafleur a try.
Will be getting them next friday (23rd). Excitement!

opinions on hardscape placement wanted

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

wood3.jpg

wood4.jpg

Personally, im swayed towards #1, as to the left of the tank is the doorway entering the room (right hand side is up against wall in the corner) so the tank would seem closed off if the bulk of the wood was on the left.
Not sure tho

Back